[net.auto] Synthetic Oils in a Manual Transmission

spear@ihopb.UUCP (Steven Spearman) (08/08/85)

Well, it is about time to replace the manual transmission fluid in my
84 Honda Civic, and lo and behold the transmission fluid in this car is
supposed to be 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil.  Now I have gotten to
thinking, since I am using Mobil-1 in the engine and am very
impressed with it, why not put it in the transmission too?

I seem to recall this being discussed before, but I'm not sure.  Any
reason why you would not want a more-than-normally slippery oil
in a manual transmission?

If you would be so kind as to mail responses to me, I'll summarize.

Thanks IA        Steve Spearman  ihnp4!ihopb!spear

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (08/13/85)

In article <704@ihopb.UUCP> spear@ihopb.UUCP (Steven Spearman) writes:
>Well, it is about time to replace the manual transmission fluid in my
>84 Honda Civic, and lo and behold the transmission fluid in this car is
>supposed to be 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil.  Now I have gotten to
>thinking, since I am using Mobil-1 in the engine and am very
>impressed with it, why not put it in the transmission too?

I use to own a Honda Civic and thought the same thing, so I replaced
the 10-30 oil with a 10-50 synthetic. The shifting action of the trans
suffered and the gears would grind every time I shifted unless I double
clutched it or shifted real slow. It turns out that a certain amount of
friction is required by the synchro rings in order for them to work
properly. I changed back to good old 10-30 detergent oil and the problem
went away. While the synthetic gave me about 1 mpg when I used it in the
engine, there seemed to be no benefit to using it in the transmission.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

    "The 6000 Family"