[comp.sys.next] wrinkled availabilty contour

silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu (03/07/89)

We have some NeXt's on campus and i have been to a couple of demos;
i thought that once the machines 'start showing up' up someplace, that
that implies that the bally-hoo'ed class of 'authorized university
affiliates' could buy them.  It turns out that at UCSB, the purchasing
department is the only channel for orders and they will only order them
for departments, NOT for individuals.   So Jobs' famous exhortation:
"if they havent' got bread, let them eat cake, if they haven't got
cake, LET THEM ENROLL" doesn't cover all or even the majority of cvases!!!!!!

leach@neptune.uucp (Tom Leach) (03/08/89)

In article <1308@hub.ucsb.edu> silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>affiliates' could buy them.  It turns out that at UCSB, the purchasing
>department is the only channel for orders and they will only order them
>for departments, NOT for individuals.   So Jobs' famous exhortation:

SIGH!!  Folks, the key phrase above is "...at UCSB..."!  The contract of
who the Univ sells to (on campus), is entirely up the the State and the
University.  Here at OSU, we have the same deal, but the hangup was not
with NeXT but with the various differences with state contracts.  By the
time that 1.0 is finally revealed, I suspect that the contract will be
hammered out and that the students will be able to get them.  From what
I'm told, it took Apple almost 2 years to get through the contract stuff
here and to be able to sell to students.

To the folks here at OSU... This isn't a flame, it's just the reality of
the system.

Tom Leach
leach@oce.orst.edu

Internet:leach@OCE.ORST.EDU   UUCP:{tektronix, hp-pcd}!orstcs!leach
Middle-of-the-road, man, it stanks.  Let's run over Lionel Richie with a tank.

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) (03/09/89)

In article <1308@hub.ucsb.edu> silber@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>We have some NeXt's on campus and i have been to a couple of demos;
>i thought that once the machines 'start showing up' up someplace, that
>that implies that the bally-hoo'ed class of 'authorized university
>affiliates' could buy them.

Universities that have signed contracts with NeXT can purchase NeXTs.

>It turns out that at UCSB, the purchasing
>department is the only channel for orders and they will only order them
>for departments, NOT for individuals.   So Jobs' famous exhortation:
>"if they havent' got bread, let them eat cake, if they haven't got
>cake, LET THEM ENROLL" doesn't cover all or even the majority of cvases!!!!!!

Once a university has signed the NeXT contract, NeXTs can be sold to
whomever the university wants to sell them, within the bounds of the
contract.  This includes university faculty, staff, and students.

Don't be angry with UCSB for not selling NeXTs to individuals yet -- we
don't, either.  It takes time to set up distribution, service, and support
channels within a university.  Combine that with the fact that the NeXTs
currently on the street are version 0.8 -- beta units, missing software and
containing bugs -- it is very understandable why students cannot yet
purchase NeXTs at many (most?) universities that have signed contracts.

Version 0.9 is due out at the end of this month and 1.0 -- the
shrink-wrapped release version -- a few months later.  You may have to wait
until 1.0 before your university (and others) start selling to students.
The universities are providing the first level of service and suport for the
NeXT.  Trying to support a large number of student-owned 0.8 NeXTs -- which
as well as being incomplete and buggy, require a fair amount of UNIX
knwledge to administer -- requires more people time and money than most
universities can deliver right now.

	Mark