[comp.sys.next] NeXT resellers

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/06/89)

I'd like to know what would happen if a university decided to
start reselling NeXTs to "others"---that is, people not faculty,
students, and staff?

For example, suppose a corporation approached Enormous Sate U and
said that they want to buy 20 NeXT machines.  Could ESU sell them
with (or without) NeXT's blessing?

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) (03/07/89)

In article <74422UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

>For example, suppose a corporation approached Enormous Sate U and
>said that they want to buy 20 NeXT machines.  Could ESU sell them
>with (or without) NeXT's blessing?

``NeXT's blessing,'' as you call it, comes in the form of a contract between
NeXT and the university.  Before ESU gets one NeXT, they must promise not to
do what you have suggested.  The contract, which varies from university to
university, specifies to whom NeXTs can be sold and how they are to be
supported and serviced.

    Mark

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg F. Thompson) (03/10/89)

In article <4585@umd5.umd.edu> feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) writes:
>In article <74422UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>
>>For example, suppose a corporation approached Enormous Sate U and
>>said that they want to buy 20 NeXT machines.  Could ESU sell them
>>with (or without) NeXT's blessing?

>``NeXT's blessing,'' as you call it, comes in the form of a contract between
[deleted stuff]
>    Mark

	To be more specific.  You must have at least 1 (but I think it is
2) people who are fully trained by NeXT on their products.  2 FULLY LOADED
NeXT computers used as parts for replacements, etc.  May ONLY sell to
"educational" people and facilities (high schools and lower forms of
education :-).  And to top it off, if the contract is to end, whether
NeXT decides to end it or you do, you MUST SUPPORT the NeXT computer for
FIVE more years!

These are some of the things I heard that was talked about at the
demonstation given at our University.

--
To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu