[comp.sys.next] Remote dumps from NeXT

mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin) (03/14/89)

	I am trying to dump the filesystem on the NeXT to an 8mm
tape drive on a remote host. So far, I've had no luck. It seems that
/etc/dump does not recognize remote devices of the form host:/devname.
	I then tried to pipe dump to a 'dd' process on the remote host,
but this time, I get a message back saying: dd: write: I/O error. I have
been able to tar to this drive using 'dd', but not dump. Can anybody
shed some light on this? (I have tried various blocking factors, but the
result is the same).

mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (36.64.0.50)

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (03/15/89)

In article <211@helens.Stanford.EDU> mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin) writes:

>	I am trying to dump the filesystem on the NeXT to an 8mm
>tape drive on a remote host. So far, I've had no luck. It seems that
>/etc/dump does not recognize remote devices of the form host:/devname.

I think the problem is that you need to use /etc/rdump.  Now why in 4.3BSD,
dump and rdump are still separate programs, I don't know.

Anyways, I've managed to rdump my 330 Mb SCSI disk onto a MicroVax TK50 tape
drive.  I can't say who is to blame, but it took over 5 hours to do over
the network!  There's got to be a better way (I still haven't gotten my blank
optical disks yet!).

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy