[comp.sys.next] Fortran compiler

mccalpin@loligo (John McCalpin) (03/22/89)

We recently had our NeXT presentation here and are very excited
about the machine.  We do, however, have one very large reservation.
The NeXT reps said that the only Fortran compiler available now
is from Absoft.  Well, we have lots of experience with Absoft Fortran
on our Macintosh's, and we are not at all thrilled with the prospect
of dealing with it on another machine - expecially one fast enough
to encourage us to port large codes.

Some questions:
(1) Will the Absoft Fortran to GNU C interface be simple enough to
	be usable?  If it requires any special declarations or
	re-ordering of the argument lists, then it is probably not
	usable for us.  LOTS of PD software exists that expects
	fortran and C to interface as in BSD UNIX, and I don't want
	to have to re-write it....
(2) Absoft does have the very nice advantage that they are working
	on providing support for Fortran-88 array notation.  Does
	anyone know if the NeXT version supports this? The ad I
	saw said the Mac II version with F88 support would be availble
	in the first quarter of this year.
(3) Is there any word on the progress of the GNU fortran compiler?
	When this is finished, it will interface very easily with
	GNU C (and the debugger), and should produce very good code.
(4) Are there any rumours about faster floating-point options
	for the NeXT?  The 68882 is not fast enough for serious
	work.  The NeXT rep hinted that something might be in
	the works at NeXT, but could not be more specific.

I think it is great that NeXT wants to produce a machine useful
for everybody at the university - engineers and philosophers alike -
but the scientific/engineering applications are going to require
a robust Fortran system and better floating-point performance than
the current box provides.
----------------------   John D. McCalpin   ------------------------
Dept of Oceanography & Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
mccalpin@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu		mccalpin@nu.cs.fsu.edu

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/23/89)

>(3) Is there any word on the progress of the GNU fortran compiler?

I didn't even know of the existence of a gnu fortran project. Are you
sure that there is one?

>(4) Are there any rumours about faster floating-point options
>	for the NeXT?  The 68882 is not fast enough for serious
>	work.

I couldn't agree more---at least for my work. In fact, I am thinking about
either buying a DEC PMAX (MIPS processor) which appears to be at least 4 times
(!) as fast on floating point operations, or the NeXt. It would be important to
me to be able to upgrade a NeXt to higher performance, so that I am not stuck
with its flp performance when I will eventually really need it.

Could anybody from NeXt comment inofficially as to what sort of confidence I
can place in NeXt's current machine to eventually provide this functionality?

Ivo Welch	phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

PS: Could anybody tell me of their success with hooking up the $1300
380MB drive, please? Thanks.

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (03/24/89)

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu wrote:
> I didn't even know of the existence of a gnu fortran project. Are you
> sure that there is one?

The compiler is supposed to be able to take multiple front ends, although
I'd expect some need for tweaking the first few times.  Fortran, Pascal,
Modula-2, Algol 60, Algol 68, and a bunch of other language parsers are
on the FSF's wish list, but I don't know if there's any active work
going on.

If someone has the time (or a grad student :-}), a Fortran front end
would be a worthwhile project.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor