[comp.sys.next] ? Soft modem devel. status

gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/24/89)

Hi,

What's the current development status of soft modem/fax-modem for NeXT?
Forgive me if this has been talked about recently.

Is 'tip' supported?

Has 'kermit' been ported?

                         Hugh

carlson@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (03/29/89)

At U. of Illinois, we have ported C Kermit, but I
have not tested it.

chari@nueces.UUCP (Chris Whatley) (03/29/89)

In article <246300002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> What's the current development status of soft modem/fax-modem for NeXT?
> Forgive me if this has been talked about recently.

I don't know but, if it doesn't come out soon, I'm going to get a trailblazer
out of frustration. My question about the modem is, can dsp programs be
swapped in and out or will the device be busy when its a modem. When I tried
to see what happens when two programs try to use the dsp, it brought the
system down. I assume that the new libraries and stuff in 0.9 will
take care of this.

> Is 'tip' supported?

Yes and its just as bad as it's always been. I hope they have a decent
IB-type terminal app that is specifically for modems in the future.

> Has 'kermit' been ported?

NeXT does not include the source or binaries but I have got 4e070 running
just fine.

>                          Hugh

Chris Whatley
{uunet,cs.utexas.edu}!bigtex!nueces!chari

carlson@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (03/30/89)

I tested it.
It bombed.
Server worked for one transfer, though.
Seems to have trouble accessing /dev/tty.