[comp.sys.next] NEXTs to be sold at Computerland?

crimmins@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crimmins) (03/24/89)

From the news radio report on KCBS in SF:

"Steve Jobs will be selling his NEXT computers at Businessland".

Mark
(crimmins@csli.stanford.edu)

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (03/24/89)

    It's BusinessLand, not Computerland.  Reported in the Wall Street
Journal today.  This reflects a major change in direction for NeXT.
Possibly one borne of desperation.  It will be years before the product
will be mature enough to be sold to the market that buys via Businessland.

					John Nagle

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (03/26/89)

I'm beginning to wonder more and more about NeXT.

On the positive side, they are marvels of marketing manipulation, have
done an excellent job of getting every university with more than 10
students to feel special because they are one of NeXT's favorite
customers.  That is an important complement to what seems to be a very
nice personal computer.

On the other hand they seem to have had some difficulty actually
getting machines out the door (I certainly can't seem to arrange to
purchase one), and the rest of the industry (specifically Microsoft and
Apple) is really rapidly adopting much of what makes NeXT interesting.
I might be able to get what is interesting about the NeXT box without
having to deal with NeXT.

I initially wanted to purchase a NeXT box for scientific-educational
and neat commercial software development - I'm now less certain NeXT is
the right way to go.  Maybe I'll stick with a Macintosh to let people
other than myself use the software.

Mike

p.s. Note that these opinions are strictly my own, and I in no way
represent any person or organization other than myself.  I am simply
an interested physics senior.
--
Mike Rutenberg      Reed College, Portland Oregon     (503)239-4434 (home)
BITNET: mdr@reed.bitnet      UUCP: uunet!tektronix!reed!mdr

jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (James E. Conley) (03/27/89)

	I am curious if BusinessLand will honor the student discounts?  This
might make it a lot easier for universities that are not really in the business
of selling computers.

	Also, to the fellow that is considering the Mac for educational
programming:

	I think that other companies will probably emulate what NeXT has done
in their next generation of hardware and software, but I wouldn't expect NeXT
to be resting on their laurels while they do it.

James Conley
Indiana University Computer Science
jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (03/28/89)

In article <18951@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (James E. Conley) writes:

>	I am curious if BusinessLand will honor the student discounts?  This
>might make it a lot easier for universities that are not really in the business
>of selling computers.
(stuff deleted)

>James Conley
>Indiana University Computer Science
>jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

The story is that Businessland's price will be more like $10K.  I suspct
that NeXT is not so interested in universities selling the things as they
are in having them *support* them.  That's where the major money drain
is for many companies.  It remains to be seen how the support policies
on Businessland-marketed machines will go, but a lot of the $10K will
go to the enduser support budget for NeXT or Businessland, no doubt.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

d_volaric@vaxa.uwa.oz (04/01/89)

In article <8267@csli.STANFORD.EDU>, crimmins@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crimmins) writes:

> From the news radio report on KCBS in SF:
>
> "Steve Jobs will be selling his NEXT computers at Businessland".

Personally? Might bring him down to earth some... :-)

> Mark
> (crimmins@csli.stanford.edu)

Darko.