[comp.sys.next] University Price of NeXT

bet@dukeac.UUCP (Bennett Todd) (04/19/89)

In article <12488@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> korn@anableps.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
>        [...]  After all, our universities are there to provide access to
>education and the tools of education; and not to maximize their profits...
>aren't they?

I used to think that, once upon a time. Then I went to one. There has always
been a tension between offering a premium academic environment and maintaining
good cashflow. In recent years, as our political leaders have demonstrated
that neither education nor even reasoning are necessary for success (and
quietly pursued gutting educational budgets) the tension has pulled things
rather extremely over in the direction of profit-making. That's life....

-Bennett
bet@orion.mc.duke.edu