[comp.sys.next] mice

lkw@csun.edu (Larry Wake) (04/20/89)

In article <18364@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> ktly@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Jonathan C. Kagle) writes:
>P.S.  Does anybody remember Jobs ridiculing mice with more than one button
>      soon after the Mac came out?

The NeXT doesn't seem to be doing anything to deny that legacy -- all
NeXT software treats the mouse as a one-button device.  This will be
even more the case at 0.9, when even what little functionality the
right button had ("pop up a menu that in almost every case was already
on screen anyway") gets pushed back to the level of an optional
"advanced" feature.  The default action of the right button will then
be to act just like the left button, which sure sounds like they're
saying "whoops, why did we put two buttons on the mouse, anyway?"

This is one case where the model for the user interface seems to be
strictly Mac-derived, and I don't happen to think it's a particularly
good choice.  Why can't the right button be used to extend text
selections, for example?  Or, since what it does is already going to be
user-modifiable, how about providing a larger palette of selections as
to what it can do?  Maybe even go hog wild and let the user make it do
anything he or she wants, by making it mappable to some arbitrary set
of key presses.

It's galling to have the second button just sitting there like some
atrophied appendage.  The usual complaint about multi-button mice is
that they're harder than one-button mice for novices to learn, but to
build a user interface entirely around the needs of the novice is on
the level of welding training wheels on a bicycle.  We're not novices
forever... (most of us, at least.)

And as an aside: who's received 0.9?
--
Larry Wake, CSUN Computer Center		lkw@csun.edu
Northridge, CA 91330         			csun!lkw

lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (04/21/89)

In article <2090@csun.edu> lkw@csun.edu (Larry Wake) writes:
>In article <18364@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> ktly@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Jonathan C. Kagle) writes:
>>P.S.  Does anybody remember Jobs ridiculing mice with more than one button
>>      soon after the Mac came out?
>
>The NeXT doesn't seem to be doing anything to deny that legacy -- all
>NeXT software treats the mouse as a one-button device.  This will be
>even more the case at 0.9, when even what little functionality the
>right button had ("pop up a menu that in almost every case was already
>on screen anyway") gets pushed back to the level of an optional
>"advanced" feature.  The default action of the right button will then
>be to act just like the left button, which sure sounds like they're
>saying "whoops, why did we put two buttons on the mouse, anyway?"

Well, you forget one thing: X Windows compatibility.  XWindows
supports up to five buttons on a mouse and most of the window managers
that run on X (uwm, twm, etc) assume you have at least 2 mouse
buttons.  Some programs require three, but fortunately, they were
smart enough to use both buttons down to emulate the third button.

Anyways, does anyone know how companies like White Pine, who ported
X11.R3 to the Mac II, emulate the second mouse button for X on the
Macintosh?  Since the Mac has only one mouse button, running X would
be kinda strange with only one button.

/lih

 """""""   Andrew "Fuz" Lih	              Columbia University Center
 | @ @ |   Instructional Computing	      for Computing Activities
 <  ^  >
  \ - /    lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu	      AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET
   --- 	   lih@heathcliff.cs.columbia.edu  ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih