[comp.sys.next] Jobs' marketing scam

rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) (04/21/89)

I just realized -- Jobs and the "if you want a NeXT, you'll have to go to
college" biz has been a complete white wash!

A previous poster (from apple.com, I believe) pointed out that Jobs had agreed
not to compete in the business market for a set time after leaving Apple.
Then, I just read an article where someone opined that H. Ross was behind the
move to retail through Businessland...

I put these ideas together with the fact that Jobs could never hope to squeeze
a major profit out of the academic market in these times especially not in the
liberal arts (for which these machines would be ideal), and I realized that
he never intended to!  He just wanted to make everyone who wasn't "allowed"
to get a NeXT real hungry for one and then -- presto -- he changes his mind and
now everyone can get one.

It would have been more subtle if he'd put up more of a struggle to hold to the
academic market and waited a little longer.  It might not have even felt like
we've been manipulated by slick hype instead of rational evaluation.

At least I'm reassured that he's not as naive as I had thought he was.

--
| Ray Lubinsky                           rwl@amber.cs.virginia.edu (Internet) |
|                                        rwl@virginia                (BITnet) |

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) (04/21/89)

In article <3098@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU> rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) writes:
>A previous poster (from apple.com, I believe) pointed out that Jobs had agreed
>not to compete in the business market for a set time after leaving Apple.
>
>I put these ideas together with the fact that Jobs could never hope to squeeze
>a major profit out of the academic market in these times especially not in the
>liberal arts (for which these machines would be ideal), and I realized that
>he never intended to!  He just wanted to make everyone who wasn't "allowed"
>to get a NeXT real hungry for one and then -- presto -- he changes his mind and
>now everyone can get one.

Sounds like New Coke to me.  But there were plenty of reasons to do it anyway:

>It would have been more subtle if he'd put up more of a struggle to hold to the
>academic market and waited a little longer.  It might not have even felt like
>we've been manipulated by slick hype instead of rational evaluation.

Four reasons I can see to do it now rather than later:

	1. practical universities often buy what's in the real world,
		for reasons of software and hardware availability,
		cost (general-market hardware is cheaper, usually),
		and need to familiarize their students with it...
		can you imagine learning all about computers on a NeXT
		and then going to work and getting a FeCe on your desk ?
		Many universities are cautious and waiting for acceptance
		by markets other than themselves... after all, universities
		are full of cautious folk. 1/2 :-)

	2. research universities often wait to be *given* stuff...
		NeXT can't do this unless it has a big business sales base,
		and that means the number of NeXTs will be limited in the
		major research universities that write all the software...
		how much of your budget are you going to spend on NeXT when
		Digital piles so many machines into your labs that you can't
		find space for them all, and you don't have enough money
		to pay research assistants ?  When I was at Waterloo, such
		was the situation.

	3. the business market is soft for the first time in years
		In fact, the university market is pretty tough, as you say.
		I would think the business market is softer, since there is
		now no clear successor to the IBM PC, the Mac SE/30 and IIx
		don't offer any new functionality at all, but at a fatter price.
		Because of POSIX and X/Open, many business folk are being
		baptized in Unix waters... the fact that both AT&T and OSF
		agreed that SysV.3 was the groundwork for their enhancements
		made a lot of people realize that the Unix wars will not have
		as many civilian casualties as the FeCe Bus Wars, or Mac-like
		interface lawsuit wars.

	4. Jobs gets a clear shot at Sculley, just when Sculley is hurting most

>At least I'm reassured that he's not as naive as I had thought he was.

Naive ?  Building the market for personal computers, recognizing the potential
of the Xerox Star, creating the Macintosh and nurturing it... not the actions
of a naive man.  He's always had powerful friends, too, with good advice handy.
I think this was yet another well-considered move.

Craig Hubley

Disclaimer:  No, I don't work for *, I just like some of their stuff
		* = random computer company

--
	Craig Hubley			-------------------------------------
	craig@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu	"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (04/22/89)

In article <3098@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU> rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) writes:
>I just realized -- Jobs and the "if you want a NeXT, you'll have to go to
>college" biz has been a complete white wash!
>
>A previous poster (from apple.com, I believe) pointed out that Jobs had agreed
>not to compete in the business market for a set time after leaving Apple.
>Then, I just read an article where someone opined that H. Ross was behind the
>move to retail through Businessland...

Well, I am not sure if Jobs was totally serious about his
"go to college!" response...

The fact that Jobs entered the business market is not really
surprising.  If he indeed did make a deal with Apple about not
entering the business market, then it is also not a surprise that NeXT
entered the business market.  Why?  Examine one of the owners of NeXT:
H. Ross Perot.  He sold his startup EDS (Electronic Data Systems) to
GM, and also made a deal to not "compete profitably" against EDS for a
period of two years I believe.  So what did H. Ross do?  He started
Perot Systems and bid against EDS for contracts, but for the next two
years, Perot Systems will show a 0 profit on the books.

I would like to know the details of the Apple-Jobs agreement if it
does exist.  If it says that Jobs cannot compete, then that would be a
problem for NeXT, but if it says that Jobs cannot "turn a profit" then
he can learn from his friend H. Ross...

 """""""   Andrew "Fuz" Lih	              Columbia University Center
 | @ @ |   Instructional Computing	      for Computing Activities
 <  ^  >
  \ - /    lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu	      AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET
   --- 	   lih@heathcliff.cs.columbia.edu  ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih

mvs@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG (Michael V. Stein) (04/23/89)

In article <3098@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU> rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) writes:
 [talking about Jobs selling to more than the college market ]
>It would have been more subtle if he'd put up more of a struggle to hold to the
>academic market and waited a little longer.  It might not have even felt like
>we've been manipulated by slick hype instead of rational evaluation.

I'm really not sure what the big deal is about all this.

Aside from that, I'm also not convinced by your reasoning.  I listened
to a NeXT rep about two months ago and he said that at a meeting of
Job's academic advisors, the advisors had sharply changed their position.
Supposedly the advisors had originally pressured Jobs into promising
that the machine would be marketed only to education for the first
year it was out - so they could show to the world what higher ed could
do with the proper machine.  At any rate, supposedly, a few months
ago the advisors met again and decided that if they were ever going
to get the third party software they wanted, the machine should be
marketed to all groups.

The story could all be a lie but most college profs are pompous
enough to behave that way.

--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	mvs@mecc.mn.org