[comp.sys.next] NeXT user interface awkwardnesses

mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (04/24/89)

     As a programmer who's done a fair amount in the AppKit recently,
I have found some additional user interface deficiencies in the NeXT
that I'd like to share.

     Chief among my complaints is that the NeXT buffers mouse clicks.
This wouldn't be all that bad, except that the NeXT doesn't always
respond to a click right away, leaving one to believe that the click
was lost.  If, instead, the click was delayed, you might end up
clicking the same button twice.  There should be some way to turn off
mouse buffering, particularly in an application where the effect of a
click may take a long time.

     Another problem has to do with ScrollViews.  They are really poor
for displaying a large chunk of text.  The problem is that if you want
to scroll by a screenful you have to quickly click the arrow.  If
you're not fast enough it ends up scrolling multiple screenfuls.

     These might be fixed by tuning.

Mark Crispin / P.O. Box 2652 / Seattle, WA 98111-2652 / (206) 842-2385
mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU / MRC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil
450cc Rebel pilot -- a step up from 250cc's!!!
kisha no kisha ga kisha de kisha-shita...tabesaserarenakerebanaranakattarashii

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (04/25/89)

In article <1734@blake.acs.washington.edu> mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) writes:
>The problem is that if you want
>to scroll by a screenful you have to quickly click the arrow.  If
>you're not fast enough it ends up scrolling multiple screenfuls.

This is a bug in the 0.8 software.  It is fixed in 0.9.
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Chief Operating System Scientist