[net.auto] Subaru stars

bill@milford.UUCP (bill) (08/08/85)

What could possibly be posted both to astro and auto?

I've become curious about the logo for the Subaru line
of automobiles, they have six stars in an oval:

           0        O

         O               O

(The star marked '0' is slightly larger (brighter?) than the others.)

I first guessed it represented a subset of the stars of Sagitarius,
but the bow doesn't look right and the brighter star would be out
of place. Next guess was Lyra but the rhomboid of the right most
four stars would be twisted out of shape, besides the '0' star is not
_that_ much larger than the others.

Can any veteran star-gazers identify what the Subaru logo represents?
Perhaps it is a Japanese constellation which the West divided into
several -- 'Subaru, the sign of the four-wheel-drive-chariot'?

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (08/09/85)

[]

In article <103@milford.UUCP> bill@milford.UUCP (bill) writes:

>I've become curious about the logo for the Subaru line
>of automobiles, they have six stars in an oval:

>Can any veteran star-gazers identify what the Subaru logo represents?

The Pleiades, albeit a bit stylized.
--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (08/10/85)

Subaru is the japanese name for the Pleiades.  Note that only the six
visible stars are used.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

doug@escher.UUCP (Douglas J Freyburger) (08/11/85)

> Can any veteran star-gazers identify what the Subaru logo represents?
> Perhaps it is a Japanese constellation which the West divided into
> several -- 'Subaru, the sign of the four-wheel-drive-chariot'?

In Japanese, "Subaru" means the Sisters of Industry, a good
name for a manufacturing conglomerate.  The Sisters of
Industry are a star pattern that we call the Pliades (sp?).
That is a picture of the Pliades in chrome on the back of
your car.

Doug Freyburger		DOUG@JPL-VLSI, DOUG@JPL-ROBOTICS,

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (08/13/85)

> > Can any veteran star-gazers identify what the Subaru logo represents?
> > Perhaps it is a Japanese constellation which the West divided into
> > several -- 'Subaru, the sign of the four-wheel-drive-chariot'?
>
> In Japanese, "Subaru" means the Sisters of Industry, a good
> name for a manufacturing conglomerate.  The Sisters of
> Industry are a star pattern that we call the Pliades (sp?).
> That is a picture of the Pliades in chrome on the back of
> your car.
>
> Doug Freyburger		DOUG@JPL-VLSI, DOUG@JPL-ROBOTICS,

This might not make it thru, news has had problems.

Gee, everybody beat me to this answer.  Let me add how I learned this.
A friend, no longer working at JPL, purchased a SUBARU.  He did
this research, and now has the personalized plate of "PLIADES"
(obviously misspelled).  Yes, it is named for the same star formation.

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb

ayers@convexs.UUCP (08/15/85)

/* Written  6:02 pm  Aug 10, 1985 by doug@escher.UUCP in convexs:net.astro */
In Japanese, "Subaru" means the Sisters of Industry, a good
name for a manufacturing conglomerate.  The Sisters of
Industry are a star pattern that we call the Pliades (sp?).
/* End of text from convexs:net.astro */

How remarkable -- because we also call the Pliades "the seven sisters"...

				blues, II

			world's leading exopsychologist
			(If Carl can do it, I can do it)