[comp.sys.next] A question...

dave@sdsu.UUCP (David Schwantner) (04/29/89)

I'll try this question again.  Where is all of the documentation stored on the
cube's mag-noptic disk.  A comprehensive list wouold be helpful. Thanks in
advance,
          David Schwantner

jgreely@previous.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (04/29/89)

In article <3768@sdsu.UUCP> dave@sdsu.UUCP (David Schwantner) writes:
>I'll try this question again.

...must have missed it the first time it came around.

>  Where is all of the documentation stored on the
>cube's mag-noptic disk.

Mostly, it's not.  Under 0.8, what on-line documentation has been
provided is in /bootdisk/Library/Documentation/*.  The file system
changes under 0.9, so I don't know where it'll be then.  Rumor has it
that quite a bit more of the documentation will be online in 0.9.

-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (04/30/89)

In article <45842@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely writes:
>In article <3768@sdsu.UUCP> dave@sdsu.UUCP writes:
>>  Where is all of the documentation stored ... ?
>Mostly, it's not.  Under 0.8, what on-line documentation has been
>provided is in /bootdisk/Library/Documentation/*.  The file system
>changes under 0.9, so I don't know where it'll be then.  Rumor has it
>that quite a bit more of the documentation will be online in 0.9.

0.9 comes with a great deal more documentation, and you will be able
to find it in /NextLibrary/Documentation. 0.9 file system structure is
considerably different than that in 0.8; for instance apps now live in
/NextApps rather than /MyDisk/NeXT/Apps. A typical / will contain,
besides the standard Unix /usr, /tmp/, /etc, etc:
  /NextApps       (NeXT-distributed and supported apps)
  /NextDeveloper  (Demos, Examples)
  /NextLibrary    (Docs, various support files, literature, etc)
  /LocalApps      (Local system wide apps)
  /LocalLibrary   (Local system wide docs, literature, etc)
  /me, /joe, etc  (User accounts)

Each home directory also has ~/Library and ~/Apps, which parallel /NextApps
and /NextLibrary. Search path for most things (apps, sounds, fonts,
documentation), goes first to user's home, then to /LocalXXX, and
finally to /NextXXX.

There's also a user preference that lets you turn off the display of
/usr, /tmp, etc in the / directory. This gives you a much cleaner view
of the file system in the browser. (Just the above directories and
the user homes.)

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com

bob@monster.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/30/89)

In article <8835@polya.Stanford.EDU> ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) writes:
   0.9 file system structure is considerably different than that in
   0.8; ... A typical / will contain, besides the standard Unix /usr,
   /tmp/, /etc, etc:
     /me, /joe, etc  (User accounts)

Hmmm... What happens when Edward Theodore Cravitz walks up with his
optical disk containing his home directory named with his initials?
Will it get mounted under / too?  What happens to that other /etc
that's been lying around there, collecting dust for lo these many
years?  Which /etc will you believe?  What happens if Eddie doesn't
happen to have a ~/passwd?  What if he does?

And what about Naomi?

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (05/01/89)

In article <BOB.89Apr29180055@monster.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@monster.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>Hmmm... What happens when Edward Theodore Cravitz walks up with his
>optical disk containing his home directory named with his initials?
>Will it get mounted under / too?  What happens to that other /etc

When an optical disk is inserted, the autodiskmounter (a new server process),
in conjunction with the Workspace Manager, mounts it in the users home
directory.  The WSM has been enhanced with commands to manage disks and
can eject/umount them as the user desires.

Also,  there is no requirement thate hom directories be kept in the /
directory.  A standalone machine just starts out that way, but you can
administer you machines anyway you want.  (We tend to think that if you
do have several accounts you will want to put them someplace other
than the root).
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Chief Operating System Scientist