[comp.sys.next] Combining Text and Bitmaps in ScrollView

LJP@PSUVM.BITNET (Louis J. Pepe) (05/01/89)

I am working on developing an application that uses a ScrollView whose
DocView contains both text and bitmaps.  The DocView is not quite a
TextView or Bitmap because it would combine elements from both.  Any
ideas on how to do this?  One suggestion I've had so far is to treat the
DocView as a TextView and composite the Bitmaps in on top of blank spaces
in the TextView.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Louis Pepe   (LJP@PSUVM.BITNET)
Graphics Programmer
Penn State University
Center for Academic Computing

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (05/02/89)

In article <89121.103030LJP@PSUVM> LJP@PSUVM.BITNET (Louis J. Pepe) writes:
>I am working on developing an application that uses a ScrollView whose
>DocView contains both text and bitmaps.  The DocView is not quite a
>TextView or Bitmap because it would combine elements from both.  Any
>ideas on how to do this?  One suggestion I've had so far is to treat the
>DocView as a TextView and composite the Bitmaps in on top of blank spaces
>in the TextView.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Create your own subclass of View, and add TextFields and BitmapViews
as the subviews of your own view. Then your subclass of view could be the
docview.

If by "TextView" you mean "Text," then you can probably go ahead
and make your own view a subclass of Text directly.

By "BitmapView" I mean a view that will display a bitmap; you can either
create this yourself (it's a very simple subclass of View) or use
transparent, disabled buttons with icon images (like in Interface
Builder).

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com