[comp.sys.next] Kermit, disks, and networking

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) (05/04/89)

In article <46338@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>The truth is that c-kermit doesn't work correctly under
>0.8, and I haven't had a chance to dig in and debug it (preferring to
>wait for 0.9, when it should work fine).

C-Kermit (as ftp'd from cunixc.cc.columbia.edu, the Kermit ftp archive)
works with very little modification on the NeXT -- none if you just want to
use it as a terminal.  Somewhere in the program, and I forget where, an
assignment is done to a string constant.  Either modify the single
assignment statement or try playing with compiler options to allow writable
strings.

Perhaps by 1.0 C-Kermit will be modified to use the NeXT interface, the way
that Mac-Kermit uses the Mac Interface, and it will be part of the
distribution (wish, wish).

>In article <10556@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> christ@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP
> (Christian L. Keppenne) writes:
>>3) has anybody used another scsi hard disk than the ones sold by
>>NEXT? i have a rodime 100 meg internal from my mac 2and would like to
>>use it until i can afford the 330 meg drive.
>
>Translation: you can't just attach it, click
>"format", and go.  This might be possible under 1.0, but for now you'd
>need to read up on "newfs", and hack up a disktab entry (that should
>be *all* you need, but I haven't snitched a "spare" SCSI drive yet).

Alternatively, you could go out and see what's the best price that you can
get on the free market for the same drives that NeXT uses.  I have heard
prices like $3000 and $1500 (and less -- 25%+ savings) for the same SCSI
MAXTOR 660 and 330 megabyte drives.

>>8) finally, did someone manage to have a next and a macintosh
>>networked together in such a way as to allow transfer of text and
>>graphics files from the one to the other?
>
>If you want to transfer graphics, you'll need
>to find a TIFF utility for the Mac, since all the NeXT understands is
>TIFF (by default).

TIFF and PostScript.  Of course, those hexified PostScript bitmaps, er,
images (assuming that you're doing bitmaps) can be pretty large.  very
large.  gigantic (get a big SCSI disk first :-).

Another way to transfer files is to network the NeXT and the Mac.  The NeXT
has all of the BSD networking software built in and a public domain telnet
with ftp server (NCSA telnet) is in the public domain.  NCSA telnet is
available via annonymous ftp from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.

  Mark