[comp.sys.next] 0.9 release

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (05/06/89)

In article <915@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>0.9 sounds really nice.  Too bad we don't have it.

0.9 is rather nice (of course I'm biased :-).

It is a fact that 0.9 was being shipped by our factory on May 3rd.  This
includes new machines with 0.9 and 0.9 updates to our 0.8 installed base.
If you don't have your update, you should get it any day now.

I think its worth letting everyone know why there was a delay.  Basically,
just before our software group released 0.9 to the factory, the factory
stopped producing 0.8.  Just as the first 0.9 disks were being produced,
our quality assurance mechanisms detected more than expected rejections
of optical media (we reject some percentage of "bad" media).  This
problem was detected before any 0.9 units had shipped, and since it was
concurrent with the 0.9 release, there was (initially) some concern that
there was a 0.9 bug (We use our own software to produce disks).  Rather
than just living with a lower "yield" of disks, we pulled the plug and
put the release on hold until we understood the problem.  Since that
time, we studied the problem and tracked it down to bad sectors that
behaved in strange ways.  We enhanced our optical disk driver to handle
these cases, and ran rigorous tests on the optical media.  We delayed
shipping until we were sure the problem was nailed.  I think most of
the confusion in the field was due to the fact that we were always "a
couple days away from shipping."

>[I would be more than happy to have .9 arrive moments after I post this,
>so I would look stupid.  I fear it isn't going to be so.]

We don't want you to look stupid, and indeed you don't.  Hopefully you
will have 0.9 in hand soon.  We are sorry that we've caused some grief
to people, especially our early adopters.  I hope that the new things you
find in 0.9 will help to make up for the grief.  And THANKS for being
so interested!  (Check out the Draw example, it's an amazing piece of
work yet a simple program --- the source is in /NextDeveloper/Examples).
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Chief Operating System Scientist