[comp.sys.next] FrameMaker included in 0.9?

At dinner at night, a NeXT rep said that a beta version of FrameMaker
(the document creation program (that's "word processor" to you and me)
popular on Sun workstations) is included in the 0.9 release.
They say it's fully functional, but we suspect that the Save
feature has been disabled.  (This is what Frame does with their
demo copies for Suns.)

We don't have our NeXTs yet; it would be nice for someone receiving
0.9 to verify this.

Mark Riordan   riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

erikkay@athena.mit.edu (Erik Kay) (05/06/89)

The version of 0.9 that I saw demoed a week ago, had a demo of Framemaker on
it.  It was pretty nice, from what I saw of it.  However, the NeXT reps who
were doing the demo said that they still weren't sure whether Framemaker was
going to be included or not in the official 0.9 release, so it may not be there
when we get 0.9 (heh, heh...).

	"It will definitely be there by Friday" -two weeks ago
        "It will definitely be there by Friday" -one week ago
 	"It will definitely be there by Friday" -this week

-Erik Kay
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Class of '92

glc@frame.UUCP (Greg Cockroft) (05/06/89)

>At dinner at night, a NeXT rep said that a beta version of FrameMaker
>(the document creation program (that's "word processor" to you and me)
>popular on Sun workstations) is included in the 0.9 release.
>They say it's fully functional, but we suspect that the Save
>feature has been disabled.  (This is what Frame does with their
>demo copies for Suns.)

Its located in /NextDeveloper/Demos/FrameMaker.app
A Demo Document loads automatically at startup.

The only things which are turned off are things that had a very high
probability of crashing. Luckily Save wasn't one of these.

	-greg.

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (05/06/89)

In article <2864@cps3xx.UUCP> riordan@frith.UUCP (Mark Riordan) writes:
>FrameMaker ... included in the 0.9 release.
>They say it's fully functional, but we suspect that the Save
>feature has been disabled.

A beta version of Framemaker is on 0.9.  It is fully functional
(except for beta bugs of course :-).  However, this version will not work
in 1.0, so in some ways it can be thought of as a limited-time demo.
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Chief Operating System Scientist