[comp.sys.next] Printing to a LaserWriter

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (05/06/89)

Hiyah. We still got 0.8, and are waiting for 0.9, but while we do...

The way we set our default printer to our LaserWriter was by moving the
lp|np in /etc/printcap to the lp2 entry. Is there a more elegant way,
e.g., a way to change the default printcap entry to our LaserWriter?

And the big question is, WriteNow doesn't print to our printer...
[ OffendingCommand: setalpha ] or something. Is there a workaround
here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Opinions are my own only.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (05/06/89)

In article <8848@csli.Stanford.EDU> Daniel M. Rosenberg writes:
>And the big question is, WriteNow doesn't print to our printer...
>[ OffendingCommand: setalpha ] or something. Is there a workaround
>here?

Under 0.8 WriteNow did not print on non-NeXT printers. 0.9 solves
that problem.

(You'll notice that the offending command is "setalpha," which is an
alpha-related PS operator added to Display PostScript by NeXT. Such
PS extensions are useful only on the screen in conjunction with compositing
and shouldn't have been generated by WriteNow when printing.)

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com