[comp.sys.next] Defaults & Apps

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (05/10/89)

I looked through the 0.8 release hunting for documentation on the
defaults for each App (used in dread, dwrite, dremove).  I figured
out the Printer default by trial and error.  Where are the defaults
documented?  Will the defaults be handled entirely by Preferences?

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (05/10/89)

In article <187@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> John Carlson writes:
>I looked through the 0.8 release hunting for documentation on the
>defaults for each App (used in dread, dwrite, dremove).  I figured
>out the Printer default by trial and error.  Where are the defaults
>documented?  Will the defaults be handled entirely by Preferences?

Preferences deals only with a few of the defaults --- mostly ones
specific to a user's environment and not to a certain program.

Every app should provide some means of setting its own defaults --- in
most cases, this will be through a "Preferences" panel specific to
every app or through some action on part of the user (for instance,
Terminal remembers where its menu is, BreakApp remembers high score,
most programs remember their font style and size, all pretty much
automatically without the user having to explicitly save).

Thus users should never have to change defaults by hand using dwrite,
and most programs do not need to publish their default variable names/values.
Of course, you can always do "dread -l" and get an idea of what program uses
what defaults... The "-l" option causes the whole database of defaults to
be dumped.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com