[comp.sys.next] NetInfo and NFS

daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) (05/11/89)

I've just upgraded to 0.9 and have set up the NeXT for NFS
the way I've used to under 0.8 (which used to work).
Apparently, this is not working. The way I understand it, if
the NetInfo daemon is running, the NFS daemon will be disabled.
Now I've read through the 0.9 release notes and the NetInfo
document on-line several times and it seems to me that I
have to follow the instructions in the release notes and/or use
the NetInfo application.

But there are several things I do not understand.

(1) Do I have to set up the NeXT as a configuration server in NetManager?
    What's the implication of this?
(2) I have currently selected "Non-NeXT Network" for Network Type.
    Is this correct? I am putting the NeXT on a NFS network of Suns.
(3) I have added Internet addresses of several of our Sun clients in
    fstab, hosts, etc. Do I still have to run NetManager and bring up
    the Host Editor?
(4) Do I have to edit NetInfo or run niload, etc. on fstab, etc.?
    As an example, I am trying to mount:

       sunspark:/home/sunspark onto /home/sunspark on the NeXT.

Can't wait to hear from you soon. 0.9 looks great but my account
is on the Sun across the network.  Thanks.

Daniel Dee
V.I. Corporation
Amherst Research Park
Amherst, MA 01002
(413)253-3482
UUCP: ddee@vicorp.UU.NET

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (05/11/89)

In article <3478@vicorp.UUCP> daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) writes:
>Apparently, this is not working. The way I understand it, if
>the NetInfo daemon is running, the NFS daemon will be disabled.

No.  If NetIno is running, /etc/fstab is not read.  The documentation
appears to be incorrect on this point, since mount ignores anything in
it, even if YP is running.

>But there are several things I do not understand.

>(1) Do I have to set up the NeXT as a configuration server in NetManager?
>    What's the implication of this?

No.  This is for NeXT-only networks.  It sets you up to respond as the
machine that other NeXTs look to for autoconfig on name and IP
address.

>(2) I have currently selected "Non-NeXT Network" for Network Type.
>    Is this correct? I am putting the NeXT on a NFS network of Suns.

Yup.  That's how mine are, too.  Note that you may have to manually
edit /etc/hostconfig for correct results (it never seems to save the
router for me).

>(3) I have added Internet addresses of several of our Sun clients in
>    fstab, hosts, etc. Do I still have to run NetManager and bring up
>    the Host Editor?

Nope.  You use niload to load all of these into NetInfo.  NetManager's
host editor is for NeXTs that you administer.  For example, to
configure our machines, I used NetManager (local configuration panel),
added YP cookies to passwd and group, fixed one line in /etc/rc (if
you use another host as a router, edit the line "/usr/etc/route add
default $ROUTER 0", change the 0 to a 1), imported file systems into
NetInfo, and set date, time, and timezone.  Every major change after
that was local environment stuff.

>(4) Do I have to edit NetInfo or run niload, etc. on fstab, etc.?

Yes.

				"If it can be made, it
				 can be made with a NeXT
				 logo on it."