[comp.sys.next] copying files with the browser

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (05/11/89)

Now that I have the 0.9 (hurray!), I've noticed a (to me) vital
browser feature that seems to have gone away.  Used to be, if you
moved a file with the "Alternate" key down, the file was COPIED
instead of moved.  Now, that no longer works; though holding down
the "Control" key will still create a link to the original file
instead of moving it.

Will someone kindly tell me:

1.  Is my mind deteriorating, or is this really the case?
2.  Is this deliberate on the part of NeXT, or is this a bug?
3.  Is this documented ANYWHERE?  If so, I've been unable to find it.

It sure does make the browser a LOT less useful.  Even the M-computer
lets you copy OR move files with its Finder.
Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (05/11/89)

In article <955@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu () writes:
>Now that I have the 0.9 (hurray!), I've noticed a (to me) vital
>browser feature that seems to have gone away.  Used to be, if you
>moved a file with the "Alternate" key down, the file was COPIED
>instead of moved.

Holding the CMD key down while dragging an icon will copy. CTRL, as you
noticed, will make a symbolic link, and no modifier will cause a move.

Ali