[net.auto] want info on Volvo 740/760 series

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (08/14/85)

[chomp]

I am looking at replacing my Volvo 245 after putting 220,000 miles
on it.  (No problems at all except periodic brake jobs)

I am interested in the new 740 series (also the 760, but less so)
and would like any info netland has on these cars.

My biggest question, given the new body lines, is: are these new
models as 'crash-worthy' as the 240 series?  The hood looks much
flimsier, and my biggest love of Volvo has been the safety issue.

Thanks in advance.  You can replay to me via mail or via net.
I will sumarize mailed responces.

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

cline@aero.ARPA (Ken Cline ) (08/16/85)

In article <270@sesame.UUCP> slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) writes:
>[chomp]
>
>I am looking at replacing my Volvo 245 after putting 220,000 miles
>on it...
>
>My biggest question, given the new body lines, is: are these new
>models as 'crash-worthy' as the 240 series?  The hood looks much
>flimsier, and my biggest love of Volvo has been the safety issue...
>

>Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner
>
>              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
>                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
>                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

I am not an expert on automobile safety, however the hosts of the Car Show
on LA's radio station KPFK are.  Len Frank and John Retsik (sp?) are
extremely knowledgeable volunteer programmers (not paid by the station or
any automobile companies),  and frequently comment on issues such as
reliability and safety in the new cars. Although they like the volvo (I
think the turbocharged version was one of their favorite turbo cars a little
while ago),  THEY DO NOT BELIEVE THAT VOLVOS ARE SAFER THAN COMPETING
AUTOMOBILES!  According to them, Volvo safety is a myth which Volvo very
effectively uses to sell their cars.  The kinds of crash tests performed by
Volvo, other manufacturers, and some independent auto critics do not
accurately reflect the huge variety of accidents which occur in the real
world.

In fact, their recommendation to the safety conscious driver is to to avoid
dangerous situations, and retain control of his/her car when emergencies do
occur, and don't worry about the brand of car you buy.  My guess is that the
Volvo's "predictable handling" (understeer I think) might make the car less
maneuverable in the hands of an expert driver, but most of us are not good
enough to worry about that.

Volvos seem to be good cars, their owners in general are very pleased with
them, and they (along with most modern cars) are reasonably safe (and if you
wear dark enough glasses they don't look so bad :-), so go ahead and buy
one.  In fact, the newer ones are probably safer than the older ones*, but
do not expect me to believe that Volvos are the safest cars in the world
without more evidence than Volvo advertising, and unrealistic crash tests.

Ken Cline	Cline@Aerospace.ARPA

*If weight were equal to safety, then filling your trunk with bricks makes
you car safer!