[comp.sys.next] Incorrect default path for TeX fonts

bates@stat.WISC.EDU (Douglas M. Bates) (05/13/89)

The compiled versions of TeX and dvips in /usr/bin/tex and
/usr/bin/dvips expect the default fonts file directory to be
/usr/lib/tex/fonts but it is really /NextLibrary/Fonts/TeXFonts.  You
can overcome this by setting environment variables TEXFONTS and TEXPKS
to the correct values or, more simply, create a symbolic link as

ln -s /NextLibrary/Fonts/TeXFonts /usr/lib/tex/fonts

(Please check these paths - I'm sending this from another machine and
quoting the paths from memory.)

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (05/14/89)

bates@stat.WISC.EDU (Douglas M. Bates) writes:
> The compiled versions of TeX and dvips . . .
> expect the default fonts file directory to be
> /usr/lib/tex/fonts . . .

Thanks, Doug, for mentioning that.  In fact, your suggested link

> ln -s /NextLibrary/Fonts/TeXFonts /usr/lib/tex/fonts

is what was intended to be on the distribution disk.

A few more comments on the dvips supplied:

- The parameters in the bounding box comment of PostScript files
  produced by dvips are flipped.

- The page numbers in %%Page comments start at 0, not 1.

Neither of these will prevent you from getting the correct printed
output, of course.

-tom