[comp.sys.next] TeX fonts at 300dpi

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (05/16/89)

Hey, what did you guys use for the 300dpi fonts???  They look more like
240dpi (for some characters, worse).  Are the Metafont parameters correct
for the NeXT engine?

I printed the same .dvi file in 300dpi and 400dpi, and the difference was
very apparent.  For example, in the 300dpi version of cmr10 scaled by
\magstephalf, the top of the upper case C looked more like what you'd
get out a dot-matrix printer (even 9-pin, I think -- it's been a while
since I looked at that kind of output).

I printed the same .dvi file from another computer on an Imagen that uses
the old Cannon engine, using the 300dpi fonts off the Unix TeX distribution
tape, and it came out much better.  You had to look closely to see the
difference between its output and the NeXT 400dpi output.  For example, the
capital C in that same font was a little fuzzier in its mid-section, but
the top was just fine.

What's the scoop?

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,chinet,att}!nucsrl!gore

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (05/16/89)

In article <12670029@eecs.nwu.edu>, gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
> Hey, what did you guys use for the 300dpi fonts???

For some reason, dvips isn't setting the printer to 300 dpi, so you
are seeing 400 dpi fonts `scaled' to 300 dpi---predictably, they
come out lousy.

My recommendation is to use 400 dpi wherever possible---it's hardly
slower and the quality improvement is dramatic.

> I printed the same .dvi file . . .
> using . . . 300dpi fonts . . .
> You had to look closely to see the
> difference between its output and the NeXT 400dpi output.

The output I get at 400 dpi on the NeXT laser printer is obviously
superior to 300 dpi output from a LaserWriter or QMS PS-810---perhaps
a printer somewhere needs adjustment.

Thanks for the comments.

-tom

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (05/16/89)

I (Tomas G. Rokicki) write:
> are seeing 400 dpi fonts `scaled' to 300 dpi---predictably, they

Nope, I mean 300 dpi fonts `scaled' to 400 dpi.  Sorry.

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (05/17/89)

/ comp.sys.next / rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) / May 15 1989 /
> > I printed the same .dvi file . . .
> > using . . . 300dpi fonts . . .
> > You had to look closely to see the
> > difference between its output and the NeXT 400dpi output.
>
> The output I get at 400 dpi on the NeXT laser printer is obviously
> superior to 300 dpi output from a LaserWriter or QMS PS-810---perhaps
> a printer somewhere needs adjustment.

What I meant to say is that the difference between that output and the
400dpi output was much more subtle than between the NeXT output at 400dpi
and what I throught was 300dpi.  I also should have said "*I* had to look
closely" -- I'm not a font connoisseur (good old on-line Webster :-),
although I have been drawn into my share of cmr vs. TimesRoman battles...

> Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for listening.