[comp.sys.next] misunderstood .9

rmf517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (05/13/89)

I am having two minor problems with my .9 release.

1>  nu -m does absolutely nothing for me.  I cannot change my any information
	from here at all.  It says it changes and is writing, but nothing
	actually gets changed.
2>  I cannot get the Browser to show all of the subdirectorys (/etc /bin etc)
	that I can get from the terminal.  I have tried settings in the filter
	and the preferences, but nothing seems to show these.

Another problem I'm having is convincing the NeXT that I am actually in group 0.  I was successful on .8 with no problem at all, but nu does not seem to like
  me doing this.  It only says that I do not have root access.  I must su over
  to me and then su to root.

Michael Rutman
All opinions and questions go with standard my opinion only disclaimer.

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (05/14/89)

In article <118400002@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> rmf517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>2>  I cannot get the Browser to show all of the subdirectorys (/etc /bin etc)
>	that I can get from the terminal.  I have tried settings in the filter
>	and the preferences, but nothing seems to show these.

This is set by the Preferences application - the "Unix Expert" mode which
is I believe right next to "Public Window Server" under the "cube" icon.
You'll need to log out afterwards and log back in for the browser to
actually pick up the changed preferences, although there may be a shortcut
I haven't found (might try opening a second browser on the root directory).

>  Another problem I'm having is convincing the NeXT that I am actually in
>  group 0.  I was successful on .8 with no problem at all, but nu does
>  not seem to like me doing this.  It only says that I do not have root
>  access.  I must su over to me and then su to root.

If your account was created with your primary group something other that
wheel, and group "wheel" was added as a secondary group, you'll need to run
"niload group . < /etc/group" to update the netinfo copy of the database.

Gerrit Huizenga
NeXT Workstation Support
Purdue University Computing Center
gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (05/17/89)

In article <2699@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) writes:
>In article <118400002@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> rmf517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>2>  I cannot get the Browser to show all of the subdirectorys (/etc /bin etc)
>>	that I can get from the terminal.  I have tried settings in the filter
>>	and the preferences, but nothing seems to show these.
>
>This is set by the Preferences application - the "Unix Expert" mode which
>is I believe right next to "Public Window Server" under the "cube" icon.
>You'll need to log out afterwards and log back in for the browser to
>actually pick up the changed preferences, although there may be a shortcut
>I haven't found (might try opening a second browser on the root directory).

Also, if you start typing to the Browser "/bin<CR>",  the extra dirs will
show up.

John Carlson