[comp.sys.next] Banging on del in 0.9 Terminal

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (05/17/89)

Has anyone noticed that hitting a bunch of rapid fire deletes (a nasty
habit I'll grant you) causes the Workspace Manager to wedge?  Maybe I
should save my rapid fires for video games.
--
Eric H. Thayer		Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science
(412) 268-{8724,6973}	5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (05/17/89)

In article <5008@pt.cs.cmu.edu> eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) writes:
>Has anyone noticed that hitting a bunch of rapid fire deletes (a nasty
>habit I'll grant you) causes the Workspace Manager to wedge?  Maybe I
>should save my rapid fires for video games.

Reminds me of the time I rapid fired the "Help" key on a VAXstation (VMS)
(without even logging in), thereby crashing the system.

John "Never enough help" Carlson

deford@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Johnny, The Cursed Boy) (05/17/89)

Do any users (besides myself) look at and edit a lot of
postscript files?  In 0.9 I have not been able to view
multi-page postscript files (the new YAP does not support
this function).  I realize that YAP was not designed to
view multi-page files, and a new app is available called
"Preview" to support this function, however, this app
does not function in 0.9.

Is there a hack/fix available to either use the old YAP
(I don't think copying the old version of YAP from 0.8
and rebuilding will work) or make the new YAP or Preview
apps work for multi-page files.

Any Help would be GREAT!

	Thanks,

	John DeFord (Johnny the Cursed One)

hobbes@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steven J Mattson) (05/17/89)

From article <190@ncis.tis.llnl.gov>, by carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson):
> In article <5008@pt.cs.cmu.edu> eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) writes:
>>Has anyone noticed that hitting a bunch of rapid fire deletes (a nasty
>>habit I'll grant you) causes the Workspace Manager to wedge?  Maybe I
>>should save my rapid fires for video games.
>
> Reminds me of the time I rapid fired the "Help" key on a VAXstation (VMS)
> (without even logging in), thereby crashing the system.

How 'bout something a little closer to home:

I was pretty shocked the day someone walked up to me and
informed me that rapid-firing the power key by itself
would power off my NeXT.  I've been able to reproduce
the result, but not every time.  This was on my soon-
to-be-upgraded 0.8 machine, anyone care to try this
with 0.9 and see if they kept the feature?

 -Steve Mattson
  Computer Aided Engineering Network
  University of Michigan
  hobbes@caen.engin.umich.edu