[comp.sys.next] Hints for upgrading from 0.8 to 0.9

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (05/14/89)

I have written a local document which may be of help in upgrading a 0.8
NeXT machine to 0.9.  The document is written for local people, but
many of the things I point out may be useful in general.  It is *NOT* a
substitute for reading the "Notes for Software Release 0.9" nor is it a
replacement for reading the documentation on NetInfo, NetManager,
niload, nidump, niutil, and nidomain, or any of the documentation
related to standard Unix-related configuration.  I try to point out
some of the gotchas and bugs that I encountered locally.

This document is in WriteNow format (written on a 0.9 machine, although
I have verified that it is readable with 0.8 WriteNow) and available
for public ftp from j.cc.purdue.edu in pub/next/0.9.wn.  Make sure that
you transfer the file in binary format.  Let me know if you have problems
reading or transferring the file.

While I have tried to be as accurate as possible in the document, I can not
take any responsibility for errors.  If you locate problems with the
document, let me know and I'll try to update the document.  I'll also try
to incorporate some of the other recommended changes that have been
recommended on the net as time permits.

Gerrit Huizenga
NeXT Workstation Support
Purdue University Computing Center
gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (05/16/89)

In article <2705@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (me) wrote:

>I have written a local document which may be of help in upgrading a 0.8
>NeXT machine to 0.9.  The document is written for local people, but

The document has been updated to reflect several comments that I have
received.  I'd recommend picking up the latest version via public ftp to

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) (05/17/89)

In article <2726@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) writes:
>In article <2705@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (me) wrote:
>
>>I have written a local document which may be of help in upgrading a 0.8
>>NeXT machine to 0.9.  The document is written for local people, but
>
>The document has been updated to reflect several comments that I have
>received.  I'd recommend picking up the latest version via public ftp to
>J.cc.purdue.edu in pub/next/0.9.wn.

Thanks, Gerrit!

While you were building your wheel, I was building mine.  There is a
document similar to yours available via anonymous ftp from umd5.umd.edu in
the file NeXT/User_Help/0.9_upgrade.wn.  It assumes less UNIX/NeXT knowledge
(it details how to format an optical and mount it) and it reflects the
experiences that we have had here.

I would appreciate it if others would look at it and send my criticism,
corrections, and money.  Well, ok, no money.  But I would like to hear from
you.  I think that we -- those who received 0.9 before the masses -- have
the opportunity to make it much easier for them (and, in turn, ourselves)
when they do get it.

If anyone else is working on similar documents or has augmented Gerrit's or
mine, I (and probably Gerrit and the rest of the readership) would be
interested in knowing what you've done.  After a few more iterations,
perhaps the authorship will change from Gerrit and myself to
``comp.sys.next''.

For those of you who are reading these postings and wondering why you don't
have 0.9 yet, don't worry.  Initially, NeXT sent a single 0.9 update package
to each campus support center.  This occurred last week.  Update packages
for all systems purchased by each institution should be arriving any day now
( :-) ).  In the mean time, sit back and watch the reports from the 0.9
front fly.

	Mark

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) (05/17/89)

To those of you who tried to ftp NeXT/User_Help/0.9_upgrade.wn from
umd5.umd.edu and found that it was unreadable (no world read permission),
I'd just like to say ``Ooooops.''

	Mark

sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) (05/18/89)

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) writes:
>>gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) writes:
>>The document has been updated to reflect several comments that I have
>>received.  I'd recommend picking up the latest version via public ftp to
>>J.cc.purdue.edu in pub/next/0.9.wn.
>
>While you were building your wheel, I was building mine.  There is a
>document similar to yours available via anonymous ftp from umd5.umd.edu in
>the file NeXT/User_Help/0.9_upgrade.wn.  It assumes less UNIX/NeXT knowledge
>(it details how to format an optical and mount it) and it reflects the
>experiences that we have had here.

Hey Mark & Gerrit!

Any way you guys can make those files  ASCII standard files?  See, I only
have Write Now on the NeXT's and the only way to read those docs would
be to ftp to my local site.  Well, I probably need those docs to get it
up on the net.  See...endless loop.

So, if there is a way to save a *.wn file as an ascii text, I'd really
appreciate getting a copy of it (throught ftp)

Thanks!

--
<<<     ____
-/-   	skot

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (05/18/89)

In article <11570@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) writes:
>feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) writes:
>>>gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) writes:
>>> [References to WriteNow version of upgrade 0.8 to 0.9 notes deleted]
>
>Hey Mark & Gerrit!
>
>Any way you guys can make those files  ASCII standard files?  See, I only
>have Write Now on the NeXT's and the only way to read those docs would
>be to ftp to my local site.  Well, I probably need those docs to get it
>up on the net.  See...endless loop.

Not really true - the documents can be read on (and printed from) the
NeXT with the 0.8 version of WriteNow - if you are running 0.8 you
should be able to read them (I've read the doc on a couple of our 0.8
systems before).

>So, if there is a way to save a *.wn file as an ascii text, I'd really
>appreciate getting a copy of it (throught ftp)

I took a look at a saved ASCII only copy, and it is much more difficult
to read.  Emphasis is removed, heading are difficult to distinguish
from short paragraphs and examples, etc.  If you really want an ASCII
copy, I can send you a copy, but I also recommend *strongly* that you
read this document and other printed NeXT documentation *before* taking
down your 0.8 system and wiping the disks.  We give you an idea of what
files to save and how to do your backups so that you can get back the
things that you need from your old system.

If people are interested, I can try to save a PostScript version.  I'd
prefer to have a single authoritative copy, but if a PostScript copy
is any better I'll try that.

BTW, there will probably be yet another new version available soon.  I
think I'm going to start incorporating version numbers.  The new one
will be Version 3 - watch the README file for info.