[comp.sys.next] PS/EPS previewing

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (05/18/89)

In article <1226@pc.ecn.purdue.edu> Johnny, The Cursed Boy, writes:
>Do any users (besides myself) look at and edit a lot of
>postscript files?  In 0.9 I have not been able to view
>multi-page postscript files (the new YAP does not support
>this function).  I realize that YAP was not designed to
>view multi-page files, and a new app is available called
>"Preview" to support this function, however, this app
>does not function in 0.9.

Preview does work in 0.9. (It wasn't available in 0.8.) It wants a proper
encapsulated PostScript file, however, with the bounding box, and the
"%%Page:" comments between every page, and various other details.
It's through these comments that Preview can figure out where the
page breaks are and how big of a window it should put up.

If you give Preview a PS file without the above comments, it will ignore it.

Yap, on the other hand, totally ignores the encapsulated PS comments.
Thus it will dump all the pages of a multipage document on top of another.
Someone posted a hack for 0.8 where the "showpage" operator was redefined
in Yap to wait for a mouse down; this should still work in 0.9, however
it bogs the system down and provides no way to go to the previous page
or abort viewing. Yap also opens up a 8.5x11 page everytime, ignoring the size
of the PS document. (You can resize the Yap output through the Page Layout
panel.)

I'd recommend trying to get all applications that generate PS to generate
EPS. It's really not that difficult, and the benefits are great. And, one
day, if (when?) printers start demanding EPS, those documents will be
ready 8-).

And of course Yap will still be useful for those cases when you want
to sit down and try some PostScript hacking by hand...

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com