[comp.sys.next] Yap question

NMKATZ@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Nicholas M. Katz) (05/21/89)

In 0.8, I found Yap very useful because if one fed it a postscript program
which, for example, rotated a triangle around one of its vertices one degree
at a time, 360 times, Yap would show you the triangle run around and fill up a
circle (with a rather nice moire pattern at that).
   Much to my disappointment, the 0.9 Yap waits until the program has entirely
executed and then puts the final result on the screen. This is no fun to watch,
 and, for a postscript beginner like myself, it makes writing graphics stuff in
 postscript much harder, since one can't see the various stages of one's progra
m successively execute. Is there any way to restore the 0.8 feature?
    nmkatz@pucc.bitnet

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (05/25/89)

In article <8435@pucc.Princeton.EDU> NMKATZ@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>In 0.8, I found Yap very useful because if one fed it a postscript program
>which, for example, rotated a triangle around one of its vertices one degree
>at a time, 360 times, Yap would show you the triangle run around and fill up a
>circle (with a rather nice moire pattern at that).
>   Much to my disappointment, the 0.9 Yap waits until the program has entirely
>executed and then puts the final result on the screen.

The 0.9 Yap routes all PS output to an offscreen bitmap and then composites
the bitmap in when it is done. I agree; it's not much fun that way when
you are executing a large PS file. However, using a bitmap allows you to
scroll around the image and also resize the window without having to
reexecute the program. 0.8 Yap missed these features badly.

It might be a nice idea to add an "enable bitmap" switch, sort of like
Preview has. It should be possible by just changing the YapOutput class,
in YapOutput.m, for those interested in playing around with the source.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com