[comp.sys.next] Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!?

grahamr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Robert Graham) (05/25/89)

While having Mathematica work with an 18 meg notbook on my 0.9 Next, I got
a panel with the error message "I just can't go on like this" What does this
mean? Is Mathematica chewing up the memory? Mathematica crashes consistantly.
Is there any advice on how to run it (kill all demaens but the window
sever and a couple others, then run Mathematica from the console, or some
such thing). In any case, it is teaching me the save-often-ethic.

It also seems to be moving the position of the window up every time I save
a notebook and load it back in (which I do when it crashes). Now, it is
above the top of the screen, so I can't grab it and pull it back down. Any
suggestions by people in the know? (yes, well, I guess I could cut and
paste the whole thing into a new document, but I still want answers...)

Can anyone PLEASE tell me why Terminal and Shell are not the same program?
NCSA Telnet for the Mac is like a Terminal that saves lines that scroll
off the screen (or conversly like a Shell that does vt100 stuff). I can't
imagine that it would be that hard to do. Could some NeXT worker please tell
me if this is planned for the near future? Could you tell me why they
were separate in the first place? Doesn't this seem braindead?

NetManager never seems to get the NetMask right. Its fine right now, but
when I do the local configuration, it tells me that it is the same as
my IP number. I have a fear that some other user with su privs will say
save and I'll have to go back and change it again (I am not sure, but
I think this is one of the things that crashes netinfo).

For all the d**n fustrations this things presents, our Computing Services
is getting a 'developement machine' whose criteria is that it must be under
$10,000. A NeXT clearly beats the other machines (IBM, Macs, Suns) because of
all of the software, the DSP, the cheap hard disks (and backup disk -OD),
tools such as Interface Builder, etc). It still bothers me that it has only
a 25 Mhz 68030/68882 to work with for the price, but its still great, even
in 0.9.

Rob.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/25/89)

In article <10806@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> grahamr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Robert Graham) writes:
>NetManager never seems to get the NetMask right. Its fine right now, but
>when I do the local configuration, it tells me that it is the same as
>my IP number.

That's ok; the IPNETMASK number never gets used anyway, unless you hack
rc.boot.  The netmask gets set by black magic.

Actually, I suspect that the netmask is discovered by broadcast.  Evidently
if you play your cards right, a broadcast containing your IP address is
supposed to be returned to you with your subnet mask.  (I'm fuzzy on the
details; I'm just repeating what I was told by a local TCP/IP implementor.)

Of course, this assumes there's somebody listening to your broadcasts.  We
have a few "gateways" on this campus that are really stupid; they do nothing
but route packets.  These tend to be used in low-traffic areas, with
other stupid machines like PC's.  We put a NeXT on a net, and it was
unable to discover its netmask.  Eventually, we hacked rc.boot to make
it use the IPNETMASK value (at which point NetManager's failure to
set it properly becomes interesting again...).

There is also a problem with static routing.

I've posted patches to the rc* files in the past for dealing with this
problem, so I won't bother again.  If any of this sounds familiar to any-
one who missed the patches, let me know and I'll send you another copy.

Steve
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

dls@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David L Stevens) (05/26/89)

	The netmask comes from an ICMP NETMASK broadcast request. It's
documented in detail in RFCs 950 and 792, available via anonymous FTP from
sri-nic.arpa, for those interested in details.
	Any unmodified Berkeley host should answer netmask requests, though
this is contrary to the RFC; only *gateways* are supposed to. If your NeXT is
on a network with some such beast, as mine is, the netmask will appear as if
by magic, and is reported in the boot output.

	Diskless hosts generally get their IP addresses using the RARP protocol,
but it requires a RARP server on the same physical network; there's no magic
and you have to set up the RARP server's <hardware address>-><IP address>
mappings. The BOOTP protocol (RFC 951) also provides for hosts to discover
their IP addresses as well as a boot image.
	NeXT may very well use the NetMaNAgEr to build a RARP server but it's
easier and more likely that it saves the IP address on disk. I know mine does,
in /etc/hostconfig, but I'm not "managed" by any other NeXT. Your mileage may
vary. Use only as directed.
--
					+-DLS  (dls@mace.cc.purdue.edu)

mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (05/26/89)

In article <2455@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dls@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David L Stevens) writes:
>	The netmask comes from an ICMP NETMASK broadcast request. It's
>documented in detail in RFCs 950 and 792, available via anonymous FTP from
>sri-nic.arpa, for those interested in details.
>	Any unmodified Berkeley host should answer netmask requests, though
>this is contrary to the RFC; only *gateways* are supposed to. If your NeXT is
>on a network with some such beast, as mine is, the netmask will appear as if
>by magic, and is reported in the boot output.

The problem is that on our 128.208 network, the magic sets the netmask
to 0xffff (not the correct 0xffff0000) and the NeXT subsequently hangs
on booting.

Mark Crispin / 6158 Lariat Loop NE / Bainbridge Island, WA 98110-2020
mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU / MRC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil / (206) 842-2385
Atheist & Proud / 450cc Rebel pilot -- a step up from 250cc's!!!
tabesaserarenakerebanaranakattarashii...kisha no kisha ga kisha de kisha-shita
sumomo mo momo, momo mo momo, momo ni mo iroiro aru
uraniwa ni wa niwa, niwa ni wa niwa niwatori ga iru