[comp.sys.next] moving `/~

sam@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU (05/26/89)

Does anyone know of a good way to move the `/~ key into a more reasonable
position on the keyboard.  Is there some way of mapping them
onto say Command/[ and Command/]?

Sam Horrocks
ICS Research Systems Manager
UC Irvine
sam@ics.uci.edu                 (ARPA)
{sdcsvax|ucbvax}!ucivax!sam     (UUCP)
shhorroc@uci                    (BITNET)

jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (05/26/89)

In article <15757@paris.ics.uci.edu> sam@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know of a good way to move the `/~ key into a more reasonable
>position on the keyboard.

One of the first things that I noticed on 0.9 was the lack of the tilde (~)
when you pressed SHIFT-<ESC>. This is a terrible inconvenience that I hope
that NeXT will remedy in 1.0 (I hope they put it back as SHIFT-<ESC>).

The second thing I noticed was the resize 'bar'. I really don't like this
implementation and hope they bring back the resize button in the window title
bar. That is much more convenient (although it has an inherint problem*).
It really annoys me when I try to resize a window and it locks into growing
horizontally because I my initial movements were mostly horizontal.

*The problem with the resize button that I saw was the fact that you could
push the top of the window off of the screen and you wouldn't be able to
click in the resize box again to fix it.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@hobbes.cs.orst.edu

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/27/89)

In article <15757@paris.ics.uci.edu> sam@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know of a good way to move the `/~ key into a more reasonable
>position on the keyboard.

The original NeXT keyboard had Esc and `~ swapped; Esc was on the keypad.
I think that was the right way to go, at least for me.  I almost NEVER
use vi on the console, but I use the shell a LOT, so `~ is much more
important to me than Esc; I wonder if I'm a typical user?

Steve
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) (05/29/89)

In article <10822@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>The second thing I noticed was the resize 'bar'. I really don't like this
>implementation and hope they bring back the resize button in the window title
>bar. That is much more convenient (although it has an inherint problem*).
>It really annoys me when I try to resize a window and it locks into growing
>horizontally because I my initial movements were mostly horizontal.

Gee, I kind of like the resize bar.
Maybe it's just me.

Daniel
V.I.Corporation