[comp.sys.next] scsi head parking?

joe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Joseph P. Christy) (05/30/89)

As I prepare to move back to Georgia with my newly acquired cube, I wonder if
anyone on the net has any suggestions about shipping? More specifically, is it
possible to park the head of the 330 meg winchester? Also, am I going to be
able to get the printer accross country with its cartridge, without generating
a huge cloud of toner, or should I count on leaving the cartridge here and
getting another one there, at ridiculous expense?

Joe Christy         | joe@mathcs.emory.edu         PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!joe    UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | joe@emory.bitnet             NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7956

tj@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Cal Thixton) (06/01/89)

In article <10839@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> joe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Joseph P. Christy) writes:
>As I prepare to move back to Georgia with my newly acquired cube, I wonder if
>anyone on the net has any suggestions about shipping? More specifically, is it
>possible to park the head of the 330 meg winchester? Also, am I going to be

>Joe Christy         | joe@mathcs.emory.edu         PREFERRED

Both the 330 and 660 hard disks auto-park when the power is turned
off.  If I am not mistaken, most new SCSI disks these days auto-park
at power off.

		morris meyer
		software engineer
		NeXT OS Group

--

Q3885@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Immordino Phillip M.) (06/02/89)

In article <10839@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, joe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Joseph P. Christy) writes:

>More specifically, is it
>possible to park the head of the 330 meg winchester? Also, am I going to be
>able to get the printer accross country with its cartridge, without generating
>a huge cloud of toner, or should I count on leaving the cartridge here and
>getting another one there, at ridiculous expense?

        The Maxtor 330MB hard drive used by NeXT systems has auto-park
     heads.  The same goes for the 660MB.  When transporting any laser
     printer, remove the toner cartridge and place it in a the foil
     bag it came with.  Try to keep the cartridge standing in a vertical
     orientation to keep the toner from coming out.  I would also
     recommend placing the original "shipping teeth" in the fuser
     assembly.  This prevents the fuser heater bulb from breaking.

                                              Phil Immordino
                                              Princeton University
                                              Computing and Information
                                              Technology