[comp.sys.next] degenerating WriteNow

sfl@chem.ucsd.edu (Susan Fichera) (06/08/89)

When we first brought up 0.9, we occasionally encountered a certain
error panel when using WriteNow to either read or write. The error panel
said:
	Congratulations! You found an internal consistency error at
	address 0x15928 in WriteNow. If undo succeeds, save your
	changes, report the error and try to reproduce it. We can
	easily fix reproducible errors. If undo fails try to continue.

and there were two buttons on the panel for Undo and Continue. Clicking
the Undo button would generally make it happy, even if no changes
had been made in the document.

We now have a situation where every read of a WriteNow document fails,
and the WriteNow program can not be initiated from the Applications Dock.
This error panel is presented each time, preceeded by a panel that says

	File System error. You do not have permission for that operation.

This happens for all users, including root, for all WriteNow documents,
regardless of their permissions. The curious thing, to me, is that
if the WriteNow program is invoked directly from the terminal shell,
the program succeeds.
Perhaps this issue has already been discussed, or perhaps it is a matter
of WriteNow still being in its infant stages in 0.9. I would apreciate
any available advice on this matter.

Susan Fichera
Systems Programmer
UC San Diego, Center for Music Experiment

sfl@sdcarl.ucsd.edu

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (06/08/89)

In article <491@chem.ucsd.EDU> sfl@chem.ucsd.edu (Susan Fichera) writes:

>We now have a situation where every read of a WriteNow document fails,
>and the WriteNow program can not be initiated from the Applications Dock.
>This error panel is presented each time, preceeded by a panel that says
>
>	File System error. You do not have permission for that operation.

I just got the same error alert panel when launching WriteNow from
the dock.  Doing fsck reported problems with the file

/private/vm/swapfile

Clearing this and rebooting seem to have fixed the problem.

Izumi Ohzawa
izumi@violet.berkeley.edu