[net.auto] speeding

rwhw@hound.UUCP (06/10/83)

I think that anyone that doesn't like the speed limits in these United States
should actively protest. As other protesters have done, they should go to the
areas of enforcement and lay down. Just think of the traffic tie-ups on the
California highways with people laying all over the road.

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (06/11/83)

>I think that anyone that doesn't like the speed limits in these United States
>should actively protest. As other protesters have done, they should go to the
>areas of enforcement and lay down. Just think of the traffic tie-ups on the
>California highways with people laying all over the road.

You'd have to place a lot of duck feathers on the highways to stop
traffic.  Do you know of a good place to get a few tons of duck (or
goose) feathers?

 ... pedantically yours ...
--
	Joe Presley (...!mhuxj!presley, harpo!presley)

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (06/26/85)

Not only will the points show up on your NY license if
you are convicted, but they will show up in your
insurance premiums.  Insurance companies monitor the
DMV records and raise premiums on those who are convicted
of moving violations.  Believe it.
T. C. Wheeler

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL) (06/29/85)

> Not only will the points show up on your NY license if
> you are convicted, but they will show up in your
> insurance premiums.  Insurance companies monitor the
> DMV records and raise premiums on those who are convicted
> of moving violations.  Believe it.
> T. C. Wheeler

Not necessarily.  Some do, and some don't.  It depends on the
company.  Some companies care only about chargeable accidents,
and do not raise their rates for moving violations.  I have had
such policies in Connecticut, California, Massachusetts, and Illinois.
If the company will raise your rates for moving violations, they
will tell you so if you ask.  Shop around.  Unless NY state is
somehow different than the resto of the country.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

mikey@trsvax (07/01/85)

Not all companies are picky about minor violations.  Mine isn't.
They rate me on their own internal point scale.  If I loose my
license for a violation, hang on, the bill will be in a 4 ft x 6 ft
envelope.  I've been with them since high school (1969) and my rates
have gone up and down, but never went up just because of a ticket.
I even had a major accident when I was in Long Island, demolished two
cars and the other driver had minor injuries, but I didn't get nailed.
Seems the police report of the accident said it was blamed on a
mechanical failure (A brake line burst).  My agent told me that it would
have been different if I had anything else on my record at the time though.

My dad has worked for an insurance agency for over 20 years, and he told me
the safest drivers (from the companies standpoint of possible claims) are
the drivers with an occasional minor speeding ticket.

mikey at trsvax

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (07/01/85)

> Not only will the points show up on your NY license if
> you are convicted, but they will show up in your
> insurance premiums.

From what I can understand (having been caught twice for speeding
in NY), The points almost certainly will show up on your license,
unless (if it was a local cop who stopped you) the local authorities
don't relay the information to the state, for some odd reason.  As
for insurance, I think you have to be going more than 14 mph over
the speed limit for that information to go to the insurance company
(in the case of a speeding violation).

--
C. Ian Connolly, GE-CRD - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
			  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd

waynez@houxh.UUCP (W.ZAKARAS) (07/01/85)

>Not only will the points show up on your NY license if
>you are convicted, but they will show up in your
>insurance premiums.  Insurance companies monitor the
>DMV records and raise premiums on those who are convicted
>of moving violations.  Believe it.
>T. C. Wheeler

I doubt the above is true .  I posses a NJ drivers license
nd have recieved numerous NY sppeding tickets.  They have
never shown up on my record
NOR MY INSURANCE PREMIUMS.

By the way does T.C. stand for TOP CAT??

WayneZ...

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (08/15/85)

I don't know about anyone else out there, but I have seen many
situations in which drivers have a choice between speeding and
driving unsafely.

For instance: a highway on which EVERYONE is doing 65.  If you
drive at 55 under those circumstances, you're going to be rear-ended
sooner or later.  If you flow along with everyone else, you're going
to get a speeding ticket sooner or later.

If I did a lot of driving under those circumstances, I would probably
buy a radar detector.

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (08/20/85)

[ Go ahead bug, make my day. ]

In article <4151@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>I don't know about anyone else out there, but I have seen many
>situations in which drivers have a choice between speeding and
>driving unsafely.
>
>For instance: a highway on which EVERYONE is doing 65.  If you
>drive at 55 under those circumstances, you're going to be rear-ended
>sooner or later.  If you flow along with everyone else, you're going
>to get a speeding ticket sooner or later.

     CHiPies tend to leave you alone if you're moving at flow.  They
also don't use radar, so if you keep an eye out for those cute little
black and white Mustangs you'll avoid the chance of tickets.

     On the subject of radar detectors...  If you have one in your car,
and it goes off, you'll slow down (I don't care *how* fast you're going or
what the speed limit is!).  Isn't this the object of a radar trap, to slow
people down?  From having one I know that they aren't proof against tickets
alone.  I've found a CB *much* more effective on the highways (but I believe
in having both).

--
				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>

{  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
   *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)=
}