[comp.sys.next] Customizing system panels

lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) (06/02/89)

Since the point of IB generated applications is that the end users can
customize the interface(s) to their needs/tastes without sources or
recompilation, can someone explain to me how to do the following:

1) Remove the 'Password' and 'Startup' buttons from the Preferences
application.  Since we run YP and not NetInfo for various reasons, my
understanding is that if users use the Preferences 'Password' option it will
do no good, so I just as soon remove it as explain it.  Also, as administrator
of several machines I'd prefer that the users didn't change the startup
device.  So how do I remove/cut these two buttons/capabilities--it isn't all
compiled together and unmodifiable without source is it?

2) I was willing to tolerate having to confirm my logouts under 0.8 with a
carriage return but under 0.9, carriage return cancels logout and a second
button click is required instead.  I'm not asking for everyone to agree with
my preference (and change the way it works by default) but I should be able to
put that panel in IB and change which button reacts to carriage return and
their positions as well--how do I do it?

Thanks,

- Christopher

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (06/08/89)

In article <23940@labrea.Stanford.EDU> Christopher Lane writes:
>Since the point of IB generated applications is that the end users can
>customize the interface(s) to their needs/tastes without sources or
>recompilation, can someone explain to me how to do the following:

When the .nib file is included in the executable, it cannot be edited.
If a developer wants the interface to a program to be editable, the .nib file
should be included separately.

Since Preferences and Workspace include their interfaces as a part of the
executable, you cannot change their appearance.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com

george@cornell.UUCP (George R. Boyce) (06/09/89)

In article <9786@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:

>When the .nib file is included in the executable, it cannot be edited.
>If a developer wants the interface to a program to be editable, the .nib file
>should be included separately.
>
>Since Preferences and Workspace include their interfaces as a part of the
>executable, you cannot change their appearance.
>
>Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
>aozer@NeXT.com

Even though

	a) it should not have to be said
and	b) it has been said before

I would like to say

	1. provide a source license to those who wish to have access
	to sources.

and	2. ship all applications *with* their nib files.

George