[comp.sys.next] nmserver problem

ric@arizona.edu (Ric Anderson) (06/07/89)

I have a single next system on a network that otherwise contains
Dec 4.3 BSD and Sun (OS 3.x and 4.x) machines.  I set up INETADDR
and HOSTNAME in /etc/hostconfig per the online 0.9 release notes.
In addtion, I removed the machines/broadcasthost entry from the
netinfo database as the instructions indicated.

When the machine boots, I get several nasty messages from
	/usr/etc/nmserver
(which calles itself netmsgserver once it is started).  Anyone
have some ideas about what I missed in the setup that might cause
the following?

Jun  6 11:10:20 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Cannot get the socket broadcast address: errno=22
Jun  6 11:10:20 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Warning: could not find a useful broadcast address, using the CMU default.
Jun  6 11:10:20 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Broadcast address: 0x80020000
Jun  6 11:10:21 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Network Server initialised.

Thanks,
Ric

Ric Anderson			Bitnet: Ric@Arizrvax
Member of the Technical Staff	Internet: ric@cs.arizona.edu
Department of Computer Science	AT&T: (602) 621-4048
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona 85721

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (06/09/89)

In article <11411@megaron.arizona.edu> ric@arizona.edu (Ric Anderson) writes:
>I have a single next system on a network that otherwise contains
>Dec 4.3 BSD and Sun (OS 3.x and 4.x) machines.  I set up INETADDR
>and HOSTNAME in /etc/hostconfig per the online 0.9 release notes.
>In addtion, I removed the machines/broadcasthost entry from the
>netinfo database as the instructions indicated.
>
>When the machine boots, I get several nasty messages from
>	/usr/etc/nmserver
>(which calles itself netmsgserver once it is started).  Anyone
>have some ideas about what I missed in the setup that might cause
>the following?
>
>Jun  6 11:10:20 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Cannot get the socket broadcast address: errno=22
>Jun  6 11:10:20 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Warning: could not find a useful broadcast address, using the CMU default.
>Jun  6 11:10:20 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Broadcast address: 0x80020000
>Jun  6 11:10:21 localhost netmsgserver[53]: Network Server initialised.

Make sure that your "ifconfig en0" in /etc/rc.boot contains both a
broadcast address and a netmask in this case, set in the order listed
below.  If I remember correctly, this should fix your problem (I've
done too much since the last conversion and details are slipping).

Anyway, the ifconfig I'm using is below.  The broadcast address for
a network or subnet is the net number with a host part of all 1's
(i.e. my network is 128.210.7, my broadcast is 128.210.7.255).  A host
part of all 0's used to be used on Berkeley hosts, but they have since
fixed that.  Using a host part of all 0's on the NeXT means that the NeXT
won't recieve its broadcast packets.

 	/usr/etc/ifconfig en0 $INETADDR broadcast 128.210.7.255 netmask 0xffffff00 -trailers up	>/dev/console 2>&1

Gerrit Huizenga
NeXT Workstation Support
Purdue University Computing Center
gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu