[comp.sys.next] Mouse response on NeXT

We got a couple of NeXTs two weeks ago and (certain performance and
management issues aside), we like 'em fine.  I do have one complaint,
though--one which I think could be addressed very easily.

I find the non-linear mouse vs. cursor movement irritating.  The cursor
is moved farther per unit of mouse travel if the mouse is being moved
rapidly.  The result is that I often have to pick up the mouse from the
desk and place it down elsewhere in order to move the cursor where I
want it.  I would very much like to have an option for linear mouse
tracking, as is done on Suns and Microsoft Windows (and, I believe,
on Macintoshes).

Is there something in the documentation that I've missed?
Does anyone else feel the same way about this?

Mark Riordan   riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (06/09/89)

In article <3349@cps3xx.UUCP> riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) writes:

>I find the non-linear mouse vs. cursor movement irritating.  The cursor
>is moved farther per unit of mouse travel if the mouse is being moved
>rapidly.  [stuff deleted]
>want it.  I would very much like to have an option for linear mouse
>tracking, as is done on Suns and Microsoft Windows (and, I believe,
>on Macintoshes).

The mice on Macs are speed sensitive, just as you describe the NeXT mice.
I wouldn't want it any other way.  The Macs do allow you to set the sensitivity
of the mouse however (perhaps this is what you meant).

Give the non-linear mouse a chance.  Most people I know like the non-linear
Mac-mice (once they get used to them) and some even are looking for ways
to INCREASE the sensitivity.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (06/10/89)

In article <3349@cps3xx.UUCP> Mark Riordan writes:
>I find the non-linear mouse vs. cursor movement irritating.

The mouse vs cursor movement is settable; Preferences gives you four
choices that cover a wide range, but you can go ahead an set it anyway you
wish by playing around with the "NeXT1 MouseScaling" default item.

The value of this item (as obtained by "dread NeXT1 MouseScaling") is a
string containing a list of numbers, with the first number specifying how
many pairs of numbers follow. Each following pair represents a
mouse speed, accelaration pair denoting the accelaration value to use
at certain mouse speeds. The specified accelaration value will be used when
the mouse speed reaches the specified value.

Here are the four values Preferences gives you:

Fastest	5 2 2 3 6 4 10 5 15 6 22
	5 2 2 3 4 4 6 5 8 6 10
	5 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 5 5 7
Slowest	3 1 1 2 2 3 3

Note that they all give you non-linear behavior; if you really want linear
behavior then you can go ahead and do something like:

dwrite NeXT1 MouseScaling "1 0 1"

That will give you an accelaration of 1 at all speeds. (You'll probably need
a giant mouse pad.) Please don't do

dwrite NeXT1 MouseScaling "1 0 0"

it behaves like expected and you find yourself unable to confirm your
logout. (You can, however, start a Terminal by typing in the browser.)

You'll find that you probably want an accelaration of 1 to be able to move
as fine as possible in certain cases, but it gets frustrating when you want
to move across the screen. Non-linear movement really helps. Something like
"1 3 6," at the least, or, better yet, one of the four Preferences settings.

Also all of the above goes with the warning that you really shouldn't be
setting defaults variables that belong to other apps. Apps depend on finding
legal values in their defaults variables, and they themselves reserve the
right to change the meaning of what's stored in those strings.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com