[net.followup] Protesting the Beirut Hostage Crisis

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (06/22/85)

>	A campaign to protest the people being held hostage
>	in Beirut was started either in California or
>	Texas. If you oppose the actions of the terrorists
>	please do your daytime driving with you headlights on.

<puke>
(And what about the millions of Americans who *support* the actions
of the terrorists?)  I have a better idea.  Let's all chant in unison,
"USA! USA! USA!..."  Maybe that will get the hostages released.

>	This may not have any direct influence for the hostages
>	release,

Really.

>       but it will show Solidarity in America!

Does anyone seriously think the Shiite radicals give two craps
whether Americans are united in solidarity behind the hostages?  They
will do what they can to achieve their political objectives.  If the
US govt. is serious about getting the hostages released, it can
pressure the Israelis to release the hundreds of Lebanese civilians
(including women and children) that Israel has imprisoned in clear
violation of international law, and that Israel was planning to
release anyway.  But no, that would cause people to question Reagan's
manhood, which seems to be the bottom line for the Administration.
Reagan's tough talk about retribution only serves to show up the US
as a paper tiger, since everyone knows he isn't going to do anything.

This idea of turning on your headlights to show American "solidarity"
is just another example of the stupid Us versus Them mentality that
may be appropriate at the Olympics but gets us into trouble around
the world.  This isn't a soccer match, goddammit, it's a POLITICAL
problem that requires a POLITICAL solution.  But if you think that
God is on Our Side (as usual), why not pray instead of wasting good
gasoline in such a dramatization of our powerlessness?

Richard Carnes

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (06/23/85)

In article <498@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>		...						If the
>US govt. is serious about getting the hostages released, it can
>pressure the Israelis to release the hundreds of Lebanese civilians
>(including women and children) that Israel has imprisoned in clear
>violation of international law, and that Israel was planning to
>release anyway.		...

Hey, great idea.  Israel cut down on its problems with hijackers by refusing
to deal with them, so that terrorists had nothing to gain.  Let's prove that
you can get Israel to do what you want by kidnapping, killing and torturing
U.S. citizens instead.  Then we can all feel safer ...

Please, all of you with the "obvious solutions", consider both the long term
AND short term consequences before you point out the stupidity/selfishness/etc.
of those who have not publically espoused the same ideas!!

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   {ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs, leadsv, teklds}!cae780!gordon

raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (raju bhatt) (06/26/85)

From: carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes)
 > They will do what they can to achieve their political objectives.  If
 > the US govt. is serious about getting the hostages released, it can
 > pressure the Israelis to release the hundreds of Lebanese civilians
 > (including women and children) that Israel has imprisoned in clear
 > violation of international law, and that Israel was planning to
 > release anyway.  But no, that would cause people to question Reagan's
 > manhood, which seems to be the bottom line for the Administration.
 > Reagan's tough talk about retribution only serves to show up the US
 > as a paper tiger, since everyone knows he isn't going to do anything.

I don't believe that only those hostages (TWA flight) are the only
consideration.  How about the Navy man who they brutally killed?  If
their purpose was to release their comrades/people in the hands of the
Israelis, then why kick the sh*t out of the Navy guy and then at point
blank range put a bullet through/into his skull?  He was not in the
Israeli Navy, nor an Israeli citizen.  The Shiites have every reason
to be angry at both the US and Israel, as US ships bombarded Shiite
neighborhoods during the Multinational Peacekeeping Force (or as the
Warsaw Pact would say the NATO forces) occupation of Beirut.  Israelis
have in the past been willing to trade for Israelis in Palestinian,
Syrian, and the local militias' hands.  The killing of the poor Navy
man signalled to the US that they were going to be tough.  But was
that display necessary?  I don't believe so.  I don't buy that the
Israelis were going to release the Shiites that they had soon.  This
looks like a public ploy on their part and you know how the Israelis
are with the American Media!  A third party like the Red Cross (or
in the Muslim World, the Red Cresent) could have helped to swap the
passengers for the Shiites.  Even though the US doesn't like to
acknowledge, Arafat played clean.  Prisoner swaps and when the civil
war broke out in Lebonan broke out, Al Fatah was protecting the
American Embassy.  If the Syrians and Israelis didn't screw the guy,
he could have helped in bringing to close the hijacking drama.  And
Nabih Berri (as Peter Jennings said, "The owner of several gas stations
in the Detroit area"), has not been the Arafat that played it cool
and won on the diplomatic scale.  Berri has not done a service for
his cause through his role in the drama.  No matter how much the US
State Department says that he is the 'man' who can resolve the drama,
he (and his men) talk as if they are the hijackers and will kill
them if the Shiites are released.  The American Media has made such
a play with his American affliation (another Peter Jennings favorite
quote "He even has a green card").  And here is Berri the same man
who is wiping the Palestianians in the refugee camps.  Keeping the
US Navy off the coast of Lebanon I believe is a good idea as Berri
knows, Reagan (with US public opinion behind him) will do something
when the drama gets resolved (either for the good or the bad). No
Marines landing, but could do a number on the very same people he
says he stands for with heavy bombing of the South Beirut neighbor-
hoods for the purpose of 'getting even with the hijackers'.  As
swiftly as he took American forces to Lebanon, Honduras, and Grenada,
he can do another 'trick' to Beirut especially when public opinion
is behind him.  The House Democrats/Liberals will not have the
votes to stop him.  Let's wait and see....

goran@erix.UUCP (Goeran Baage) (06/27/85)

In article <313@ihlpm.UUCP> rcj1@ihlpm.UUCP (r j) writes:

>	A campaign to protest the people being held hostage
>	in Beirut was started either in California or
>	Texas. If you oppose the actions of the terrorists
>	please do your daytime driving with you headlights on.
>	This may not have any direct influence for the hostages
>	release, but it will show Solidarity in America!
>	Please participate....

If nothing else it should bring the number of car accidents down,
That is at least the reason why we are forced (by law) to drive
with our headlights on during daytime here in Sweden.

   Goeran Boge

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL) (06/28/85)

> = Bhatt
> I don't buy that the
> Israelis were going to release the Shiites that they had soon.  This
> looks like a public ploy on their part and you know how the Israelis
> are with the American Media!

For your information, the Israelis originally had about 1100 mostly
Shiite prisoners from Lebanon.  They had already released over 300
unilaterally BEFORE the hijacking.  Of course, this could all have
just been made up by the American media. -)
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) (07/02/85)

From me
> I don't buy that the
> Israelis were going to release the Shiites that they had soon.  This
> looks like a public ploy on their part and you know how the Israelis
> are with the American Media!

From Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan
 > For your information, the Israelis originally had about 1100 mostly
 > Shiite prisoners from Lebanon.  They had already released over 300
 > unilaterally BEFORE the hijacking.  Of course, this could all have
 > just been made up by the American media. -)

Those Israelis are the nicest!  After grabbing a whole mess of them, giving
back a few of them should make them happy right?  The Shiites should be
grateful they got that many back!  How kind and merciful Israeli Army!
The Israeli government always plays to the American media, to show how
kind and merciful it is with these "They all look the same" Shiites.

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL) (07/04/85)

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate posting. I got an error message
on the first posting, so I am trying again.

> From Raju Bhatt:
> > I don't buy that the
> > Israelis were going to release the Shiites that they had soon.  This
> > looks like a public ploy on their part and you know how the Israelis
> > are with the American Media!
>
> From Bill Tanenbaum
>  > For your information, the Israelis originally had about 1100 mostly
>  > Shiite prisoners from Lebanon.  They had already released over 300
>  > unilaterally BEFORE the hijacking.  Of course, this could all have
>  > just been made up by the American media. -)
>
> From Raju Bhatt:
> Those Israelis are the nicest!  After grabbing a whole mess of them, giving
> back a few of them should make them happy right?  The Shiites should be
> grateful they got that many back!  How kind and merciful Israeli Army!
> The Israeli government always plays to the American media, to show how
> kind and merciful it is with these "They all look the same" Shiites.
-------------------------------
Dear Raju:
Your response is totally irrelevant to my point. All I was doing was responding
to your incorrect assertion that Israel did not intend to release the
Lebanese prisoners.  I never said that the arrest of the Shiites was
justified.  Your outburst totally ignores my point.  Don't let your hatred
of Israel blind you to facts.  I personally heard Nabih Berri say on T. V.
that Israel was going to release the prisoners anyway.  Of course, he too
is probably in the pay of those nasty Zionists-).

By the way, you are correct in your response to Ephraim Silverberg that
he cannot tell Lebanese Shiites from Palestinians.  His posting reeked
of ignorance. Yours reeks of hatred.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (07/04/85)

Israel is holding several hundred Shiites.  Lebanon claims these
are innocent people who were randomly rounded up as Israel withdrew
from Lebanon.  If this is true, it's a pretty serious violation of
international law and should get lots of negative publicity for
Israel.

However, this has been virtually ignored by the media I've seen.
What does Israel say its reason was for taking these prisoners?
What do third parties say?  Are these people as innocent as the
Americans on the TWA plane?  Are they terrorists?  Military?

And why is this being swept under the rug?

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/05/85)

In article <1948@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) writes:
||Those Israelis are the nicest!  After grabbing a whole mess of them, giving
||back a few of them should make them happy right?  The Shiites should be
||grateful they got that many back!  How kind and merciful Israeli Army!
||The Israeli government always plays to the American media, to show how
||kind and merciful it is with these "They all look the same" Shiites.

Hold it right there. These weren't people picked randomly off the
street, as you imply. They were arrested during Israel's withdrawal
from Lebanon for actions against Israeli forces. Remember that Lebanon
and Israel are officially at war and have been since 1948 (Lebanon,
along with every other Arab country except Egypt, refuses to recognize
Israel's existence, has refused any peace treaty, and has attacked
Israel: that places the countries in a state of war).

The last thing Israel wants is more prisoners. Not quite. The
last thing it wants is more terrorist attacks on its citizens
and guerrilla attacks on its army, which is trying to protect
its citizens. As things settle down in Lebanon, Israel has been
releasing the Shiites, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with
the TWA hijacking.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: Jacob Levy  <jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA>

A. There's no government in Lebanon, except maybe some leftovers from
   the Syrian puppet government that have not been killed or otherwise
   rendered inneffective by the different militia's fighting at each
   other's throats -

                therefore

B. I nor anyone I have spoken to in the US recently, has heard anything
   official from the Lebanese government complaining that Israel has
   kidnapped 700 of the Lebanese government inoccent citizens..

                on the other hand,

C. The only group actively interested in these people who are held by Israel,
   whether they are terrorists or law-abiding citizens, is the Amal
   Liberation Front, a highly-radical Shi'ite Moslem group that's being told
   to do whatever they do by Iran and the Ayatollahs. Doesn't the fact that
   the Lebanese government (if they exist) washes their hands of these people
   indicate who they really are?

Mark, how can you put these people and the US citizens who were killed and
kidnapped in the TWA affair on the same scale? Did these US citizens  send
car bombs to Israel with suicide-minded crazed drivers?  Did they kill off
300 Palestinians in the Sabra and Shatila camps just during  the time they
were held? Or maybe these are actions of the  people Israel is  holding or
of their friends such as Nabia Berri?

        USE YOUR BRAIN before you talk! Maybe you should  stick to
        the UUCP project and not get mixed up in politics..

        Rusty Red (AKA Jacob Levy)

        BITNET:                         jaakov@wisdom
        ARPA:                           jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@wiscvm.ARPA
        CSNET:                          jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@csnet-relay
        UUCP: (if all else fails..)     ..!ucbvax!jaakov%wisdom.bitnet

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/10/85)

In article <8869@ucbvax.ARPA> jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA writes:
||Mark, how can you put these people and the US citizens who were killed and
||kidnapped in the TWA affair on the same scale? Did these US citizens  send
||car bombs to Israel with suicide-minded crazed drivers?  Did they kill off
||300 Palestinians in the Sabra and Shatila camps just during  the time they
||were held? Or maybe these are actions of the  people Israel is  holding or
||of their friends such as Nabia Berri?
||        USE YOUR BRAIN before you talk! Maybe you should  stick to
||        the UUCP project and not get mixed up in politics..

That's not very kind, Yaakov. Mark simply asked some questions,
and not in any offensive tone. If you have answers to the questions
as you appear to, why not provide them? Although I support Israel
wholeheartedly, I would also like to hear the answers. Specific details
about the Shiite prisoners would be most helpful to those of us who
argue Israel's cause in many forums.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) (07/10/85)

 > ...						Remember that Lebanon
 > and Israel are officially at war and have been since 1948 ...

I guess the war seemed only to continue with the Muslim populations, not
with the sweet Facist Phalange Party and the other Christian populations.

 > ... every other Arab country except Egypt, refuses to recognize
 > Israel's existence, has refused any peace treaty, and has attacked
 > Israel: that places the countries in a state of war).

Does that mean any country not recognizing the state of Israel should
fear Israeli action one day?

 > last thing it wants is more terrorist attacks on its citizens
 > and guerrilla attacks on its army, which is trying to protect
 > its citizens.

Likewise the Shiites are only trying to protect their people from the
Israeli army and the local traitors (those helping the 'occupation
forces' of Israel) along with the South Lebanese Army.

 > 		As things settle down in Lebanon, Israel has been
 > releasing the Shiites, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with
 > the TWA hijacking.

How about once all Israeli soldiers are 'safe' the Shiites were slowly
being released?  You are right this action had nothing to do with the
TWA hijacking.

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) (07/10/85)

> > ...						Remember that Lebanon
> > and Israel are officially at war and have been since 1948 ...

>I guess the war seemed only to continue with the Muslim populations, not
>with the sweet Facist Phalange Party and the other Christian
populations.

Muslims  as a matter of religious faith and practise consider themselves
obligated to humiliate and degrade non-Muslims.  As far as I  can  tell,
the  only  reason  the  phalange  is fascist is that when they have been
strong enough to resist, they have been unwilling to grovel and lick the
feet of Muslim overlords.  I should point out the the "fascist" phalange
often helped and aided Jewish and other refugees from Hitler while  most
Muslim  political  parties and religious leaders have been and still are
openly sympathetic to Hitler.   By  being  sympathetic  to  Arab  Muslim
nationalist  movements,  Raju  Bhatt clearly demonstrates his basic Nazi
racist outlook.

> > ... every other Arab country except Egypt, refuses to recognize
> > Israel's existence, has refused any peace treaty, and has attacked
> > Israel: that places the countries in a state of war).

>Does that mean any country not recognizing the state of Israel should
>fear Israeli action one day?

Lebanon declared war on Israel in 1948 and never terminated the state of
war.

> > last thing it wants is more terrorist attacks on its citizens
> > and guerrilla attacks on its army, which is trying to protect
> > its citizens.

>Likewise the Shiites are only trying to protect their people from the
>Israeli army and the local traitors (those helping the 'occupation
>forces' of Israel) along with the South Lebanese Army.

What Bullshit! Shiites in no danger will go out of their way  to  attack
non-muslims. I have seen many articles telling how sympathetic we should
be to poor oppressed sunnis and shi`is.  While shi`is  have  known  some
minor  oppression  from  sunnis  in recent times, any one who bothers to
read the writings of Shi`i mullahs and other religious leaders as I have
quite  quickly  realizes,  shi`is are upset that they were not doing the
oppressing of sunnis.  In any case, whether or  not  shi`is  were  being
oppressed  by  sunnis  the  shi`is made an especial effort to persecute,
oppress and degrade the non-muslims in their  regions.   If  the  sunnis
required  non-muslims  to remove their shoes when leaving the non-muslim
ghetto (don't want that disgusting non-Muslim dust mixing with that good
Muslim  dust),  the  shi`is  practised  child-kidnapping  as  matter  of
religious principle.  My  family  comes  from  an  Ismaili  (a  type  of
shi`ite) area in Libya.  The Koran says there should be no compulsion in
religion.  The `ulama (scholars) say that a person's natural religion is
Islam.   Out  of respect for your father you might be a non-muslim.  Any
other reason would be compulsion.  Therefor if your father  died  before
you  became  an adult (12-13 years old), your mother would be compelling
you if she raised you in any religion but Islam.  Therefor Muslims  took
away  the  young  children of widowed mothers in our region.  Of course,
they were most zeolous in the case of 13 year-old females  so  that  the
practise  really  amounted  to  systematic  kidnapping  and  rape.  This
practise also existed in Yemen,  Iran  and  Shiite  dominated  areas  of
India.

> > 		As things settle down in Lebanon, Israel has been
> > releasing the Shiites, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with
> > the TWA hijacking.

>How about once all Israeli soldiers are 'safe' the Shiites were slowly
>being released?  You are right this action had nothing to do with the
>TWA hijacking.

The real basic problem is that in modern times given current destructive
possibilities  of  technology,  Islam is an unacceptable system of life.
For non-muslims in muslim areas, Islam is worse than Jim  Crow.   In  no
country  ruled  by  Muslims  are  non-muslims treated on terms of mutual
respect  and  equality.   In  fact,  Islam  is  probably  the  cause  of
Apartheid.   Not too surprising, one Afrikaner derogatory term for black
is kafir which of course is Arabic for non-adherent to Islam.  Basically
the  dutch  in  South  Africa  showed  no signs or racial bigotry toward
blacks until they began interacting with  the  Arab  and  Indian  Muslim
slave  traders.  Most of the structure of Apartheid is directly based on
the Islamic treatment of non-Muslims.  If you oppose apartheid, you must
oppose Islam.

The  only  decent  places to live in the Muslim world for non-Muslims to
live have been those areas dominated by  Europeans  who  were  gradually
stamping  out  Islamic  barbarism.  Granting Muslim nations independence
without  first  extirpating  Islamic  practises  was  perhaps  the  most
regressive  series of events in the last millenium.  Muslim independence
given the nature of Islam immediately leads to barbaric  acts  like  the
Iranian  and  TWA  hostage  crisis.   By  sympathizing  with such Muslim
barbarism, Bhatt shows himself an enemy of humanity.  Until Muslims show
some  decency  in  the way they relate to the non-muslim world, the only
proper course of action is to suppress them and eventually return Muslim
nations to colonial domination.

slk@mit-vax.UUCP (Ling Ku) (07/11/85)

I shouldn't even bother, but I just can't resist.

In article <284@mit-athena.UUCP> martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) writes:
>  I should point out the the "fascist" phalange
>often helped and aided Jewish and other refugees from Hitler while  most
>Muslim  political  parties and religious leaders have been and still are
>openly sympathetic to Hitler.   By  being  sympathetic  to  Arab  Muslim
>nationalist  movements,  Raju  Bhatt clearly demonstrates his basic Nazi
>racist outlook.

WHAT!  Bravo, what logic.

>  ..  more stuff ..
>
>The real basic problem is that in modern times given current destructive
>possibilities  of  technology,  Islam is an unacceptable system of life.

Apparantly, lots of people in this world think it is acceptable.  Gee,
they must crazy or mentally retarded.  (Yeah, I know you will agree).

> ..  In  fact,  Islam  is  probably  the  cause  of Apartheid... Basically
>the  dutch  in  South  Africa  showed  no signs or racial bigotry toward
>blacks until they began interacting with  the  Arab  and  Indian  Muslim
>slave  traders.

Good observation.  The plantation owners of the ante bellum South must be
closet Muslims too.  You shouldn't have missed that.

>  Most of the structure of Apartheid is directly based on
>the Islamic treatment of non-Muslims.  If you oppose apartheid, you must
>oppose Islam.

A brilliant display of logic again!!

>The  only  decent  places to live in the Muslim world for non-Muslims to
>live have been those areas dominated by  Europeans  who  were  gradually
>stamping  out  Islamic  barbarism.  Granting Muslim nations independence
>without  first  extirpating  Islamic  practises  was  perhaps  the  most
>regressive  series of events in the last millenium.  Muslim independence
>given the nature of Islam immediately leads to barbaric  acts  like  the
>Iranian  and  TWA  hostage  crisis.   By  sympathizing  with such Muslim
>barbarism, Bhatt shows himself an enemy of humanity.  Until Muslims show
>some  decency  in  the way they relate to the non-muslim world, the only
>proper course of action is to suppress them and eventually return Muslim
>nations to colonial domination.

Folks, I am speechless.

			(I am NOT a Muslim, nor a Nazi, therefore I must
			 be a civilized humanitarian (as western civilization
			 would invariably lead us.))

--

					Siu-Ling Ku
					{decvax, harvard}!mitvax!slk

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/19/85)

In article <2004@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) writes:

>  > ... every other Arab country except Egypt, refuses to recognize
>  > Israel's existence, has refused any peace treaty, and has attacked
>  > Israel: that places the countries in a state of war).
>
> Does that mean any country not recognizing the state of Israel should
> fear Israeli action one day?

Read what I said. "... AND HAS ATTACKED ISRAEL."  If Country X
chooses not to recognize Israel, that is Country X's prerogative.
If Country X chooses to send its army into Israel in an attempt
to destroy it and expel (or kill) all the Jews, that is an act
of war. Lebanon committed such an act.

>  > last thing it wants is more terrorist attacks on its citizens
>  > and guerrilla attacks on its army, which is trying to protect
>  > its citizens.
>
> Likewise the Shiites are only trying to protect their people from the
> Israeli army and the local traitors (those helping the 'occupation
> forces' of Israel) along with the South Lebanese Army.

Protect their people from the Israeli army? The Israeli army
is not attacking random civilians.  It went into Lebanon to
eliminate terrorist attacks on Israel. Once there, it got
stuck, because withdrawing without leaving any force to fill
the void would simply let the terrorist attacks continue.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/19/85)

In article <2004@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) writes:

>  > ...						Remember that Lebanon
>  > and Israel are officially at war and have been since 1948 ...
>
> I guess the war seemed only to continue with the Muslim populations, not
> with the sweet Facist Phalange Party and the other Christian populations.

Yes, because it's the Muslims (throughout almost the entire Middle
East) who have refused to come to terms with the existence of
an independent Jewish state in their midst. Since before it was
born, Israel has sought peace; the Arab response was always "no":
no recognition, no negotiation, no peace. Israel occupies a tiny
sliver of land out of the region, yet even that appears to be
too much for some people.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (07/19/85)

In article <716@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:

>Protect their people from the Israeli army? The Israeli army
>is not attacking random civilians.

What exactly, then, was the shelling of Beirut?  (or the air attacks on
terrorists that just happen to be in civilian villages).  Regardless of the
rightness or wrongness of this particular action, it was the attacking of
random civilians.  It probably wasn't the intention of the Israelis to
kill innocent bystanders, but that's pretty poor consolation to the
ones that are dead.

You aren't going to do any cause any good by asserting something that is
clearly wrong.

It's a damn shame that both the US and Israel (and to a certain extent,
Great Britain) were so heavy handed and indiscriminate (eg: the American
shelling of the Beirut area) in their intervention in Lebanon.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

ptb@ukc.UUCP (P.T.Breuer) (07/25/85)

In article <1406@mnetor.UUCP> clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <716@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>
>>Protect their people from the Israeli army? The Israeli army
>>is not attacking random civilians.
>
>What exactly, then, was the shelling of Beirut?  (or the air attacks on
>terrorists that just happen to be in civilian villages).  Regardless of the
>rightness or wrongness of this particular action, it was the attacking of
>random civilians.  It probably wasn't the intention of the Israelis to
>kill innocent bystanders, but that's pretty poor consolation to the
>ones that are dead.
>
>You aren't going to do any cause any good by asserting something that is
>clearly wrong.
>
>It's a damn shame that both the US and Israel (and to a certain extent,
>Great Britain) were so heavy handed and indiscriminate (eg: the American
>shelling of the Beirut area) in their intervention in Lebanon.
>--
>Chris Lewis,
>UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis
>BELL: (416)-475-8980 ext. 321

Not Britain, at least not recently. We sent a token peace-keeping force of 100
men. They may not have done much good but I think they literally didn't fire a
shot in anger.

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP (07/31/85)

<Enter obnoxious, sarcastic mode here>

     Come on, people, get this garbage out of net.followup. Leave it to
net.politics (and heaven forbid, DON'T EVEN think of posting this to
net.general).

<Exit obnoxious, sarcastic mode here>