[comp.sys.next] printing

dick@ucsfccb..ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (06/09/89)

I set all users' preferences to include Public Window Server, but I
still can't print even after reboots.  Does anyone routinely print
using 0.9?  How?

Dick

ps The check mark for p.w.s should be PRESENT, right?
Dick Karpinski  Manager of Minicomputer Services, UCSF Computer Center
Domain: dick@cca.ucsf.edu                      (415) 476-4529 (11-7)
BITNET: dick@ucsfcca or dick@ucsfvm            (415) 658-6803 (Home)
USPS:  U-76 UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 (415) 658-3797 (ans)

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (06/09/89)

Today I was helping someone get printing up an running on their Cube and
found that the toner cartridge was low (according to the printer).  The
interesting thing is that there was no alert panel issued when the job tried
to print.  It just sat there in the queue with the status of "Printing".
To make a long story short, I finally happened upon the Test... option of
the Printer app.  This is the coolest little thing.  It said that the
printer was low on toner.  So I opened the printer and rocked the cartridge
to get those extra miles out of it and put it back in the printer.  Low and
behold things worked after this, but there was no indication that things were
awry except by using the Test... option of the Printer app.  Hopefully, this
saves someone out there some time.
--
Eric H. Thayer		Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science
(412) 268-{8724,6973}	5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

dick@ucsfccb..ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (06/10/89)

In article <5168@pt.cs.cmu.edu> Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu writes:
>... toner cartridge was low
>... no alert panel
>... sat there in the queue with the status of "Printing".
>... happened upon the Test... option of the Printer app.
>... low on toner... rocked the cartridge
>behold things worked
>... no indication ... except by using the Test
>Hopefully, this saves someone out there some time.

With all the other stuff about print not working in 0.9 due
to software bugs, I never thought about checking the toner
cartridge or looking for test in the printer app.  Thanks.
This solved my problem.  Print requests from days ago have
suddenly appeared at my printer.  Yum.

Dick

ric@arizona.edu (Ric Anderson) (06/11/89)

In article <2058@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, dick@ucsfccb..ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) writes:
> I set all users' preferences to include Public Window Server, but I
> still can't print even after reboots.  Does anyone routinely print
> using 0.9?  How?
>
> Dick

We have similar 0.9 printing problems, most of which produced one of
two messages in /usr/adm/messages

1. (appears to be caused by PWS not being "checked").
	npcomm[329]: couldn't create public context
2. (still happening and caused by ???)
	npcomm[329]: problem creating PS print context

There is still no pattern I see between the messages and not getting
output.  Sometimes you get messages only, sometimes you get messages
and a nice piece of paper with printing on it.

Ric

Ric Anderson			Bitnet: Ric@Arizrvax
Member of the Technical Staff	Internet: ric@cs.arizona.edu
Department of Computer Science	AT&T: (602) 621-4048
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona 85721