[comp.sys.next] Crunching with the DSP

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (06/13/89)

In article <3793@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>>1.0 will come with an Array Processing library that provides functions
>>to do some number crunching on the DSP.
>
>Good news...That may also calm some of the complaints made in the earlier
>message that thet 68882 is slow at addition and multiplication. (Damn slow...)

I was led to believe that the DSP does fixed-point math. Am I incorrect?

How about a preview of the features in the 1.0 array processing library?
Matrix multiplication? Inversion? Eigenanalysis? Decompositions?
(Is LINPACK being implemented on the DSP ;-))?  FFTs and spectral
analysis seem like a natural application for the chip.

Pat Flynn, CS, Mich. State U | "Don't eat with your hands, son; use your
flynn@cps.msu.edu            |  entrenching tool."
(517) 353-4638               |                       -Firesign Theatre