[comp.sys.next] tags in Edit

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/09/89)

At the risk of being told I couldn't flip a setuid bit to save my life,
I will post the following unreasonable flame, because I am stupid, re-
actionary, and probably belong in a mental institution, not a major
University:

Could someone tell me what the Edit Tags default should look like?
I can't for the life of me figure out how it works.  I've tried stuff
like:

.:..:../src
and
./tags:../tags:../src/tags
and
/Homes/Dorner/Src:/nameserv/src
and
/Homes/Dorner/Src/tags:/nameserv/src/tags

I've never had Edit find a tag for me.

Please reply by mail, as I'm sure I'm the only idiot with this problem.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (06/13/89)

In article <1194@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> Steve Dorner writes:
>Could someone tell me what the Edit Tags default should look like?

Here's an answer for you, from Mr Edit himself.
Ali

Each element of the tags path is a name of a tags file. The file
name can be an absolute path, as in /Home/me/tags, or a relative
path, like ../tags. Relative paths are relative to the directory
of the file in the key window.  Each element of the tags
path is separated by a colon, so a sample tags path might be:

/Home/me/tags:./tags:../tags

When changing the tags path, use the Preferences command in the
Window menu.  Clicking the OK button in the Preferences panel will
register the new tags path.

To invoke a tag, you can select a word in an Edit window and
choose the Source... command in the Utilities menu.  If you
have an empty selection, Edit will prompt you with a window
for you to type in the token you want to search for.

There is currently a bug in the 0.9 version of Edit where you
need to make sure that the Regular Expression switch in the
Find panel is turned on before you do a tags lookup. This will
be fixed in 1.0

If you can't seem to find a tag, grep the tag files to make sure
the thing you're looking for is in there. If it is, then
there probably is a bug in Edit, and a bug report would be
appreciated.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/13/89)

In article <9977@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>There is currently a bug in the 0.9 version of Edit where you
>need to make sure that the Regular Expression switch in the
>Find panel is turned on before you do a tags lookup.

If you use mixed case routine names, you must also be sure that the
"Ignore Case" box is NOT checked.

Edit also finds the FIRST (or next, if in the same file) occurrence of
the tag in the file (rather than the defining occurrence).

I have bugreported this.