[comp.sys.next] adding fonts to the font manager

mdixon@kanga.uucp (Mike Dixon) (06/15/89)

has anyone managed to add fonts and have them appear in the font panel?
i put afm and outline fonts in ~Library/Fonts/, and can use them from
postscript code, but they don't appear in the font panel and rtf files
that refer to them aren't understood by Edit or WriteNow.  the "adding
fonts" section of usernotes/fonts.wn says "<<information to come>>"...

                                             .mike.

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (06/15/89)

In article <1153@arisia.Xerox.COM> mdixon@kanga.UUCP (Mike Dixon) writes:
>has anyone managed to add fonts and have them appear in the font panel?
>i put afm and outline fonts in ~Library/Fonts/, and can use them from
>postscript code, but they don't appear in the font panel and rtf files
>that refer to them aren't understood by Edit or WriteNow.

You will need to run the "buildafmdir" program after adding fonts to
a directory in the fonts path. buildafmdir rebuilds the ".fontdirectory"
file in the directory, and this is where the FontPanel gets it font
information from.

So, if you add fonts to ~/Library/Fonts, do

	buildafmdir ~/Library/Fonts

Note that the 0.9 WriteNow doesn't properly deal with fonts other than
those provided with the system (although the new fonts are listed in
the Font Panel); and FrameMaker (in the Demos directory) doesn't
look at the fonts directories at all, building its font list from a static
list.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com

babcock@adobe.COM (Rob Babcock) (06/15/89)

First, I suggest you contact NeXT Technical Services and request a copy of
the document, "Fonts in NextStep(R)." This presents a good discussion of
adding fonts to the NextStep environment.

Second, the 0.9 version of WriteNow does not work with additional fonts.
This bug is unfortunate. There is one step that you're missing though.

After you install your new fonts in /LocalLibrary/Fonts or ~/Library/Fonts
you will need to run a program from any shell prompt to update the Font Panel.

	/usr/bin/buildafmdir ~/Library/Fonts   , or
	/usr/bin/buildafmdir /LocalLibrary/Fonts      as the case may be.

Once you've installed all of the necessary font files and run the above
program, try running Edit. It uses the Font Panel properly.

Hope this helps.

ROB BABCOCK  *  Product Marketing Manager  *  Adobe Systems Incorporated

EMAIL:	{decwrl,sun}!adobe!babcock        USMAIL: 1585 Charleston Road
	babcock@adobe.com			  Mountain View, CA 94039