[comp.sys.next] librarian enhancement

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/22/89)

I have quite a few things in my "digital library".  Besides the supplied
stuff, I have my old JotFolder, a directory of Macintosh include files,
/usr/include, and a directory of Internet RFC's.  This is a lot of icons;
I either have to widen the Librarian's window (which wastes tons of space,
since most documents are fairly narrow), or use two rows of icons, which is
almost a third of the screen height.

A fairly simple enhancement would make me very happy in this regard.  When
you slide the "search" area over the icons, the name of the currently
selected library appears above the field for the search string.  If this
name were made into a pop-up list with the different folder names in it,
I could use any folder I wanted, without wasting all that screen real-
estate on icons.

Does anybody else think this would be a good idea?
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) (06/23/89)

In article <1331@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu>, dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>[He has lots of targets for the Librarian ]

> A fairly simple enhancement would make me very happy in this regard.  When
> you slide the "search" area over the icons, the name of the currently
> selected library appears above the field for the search string.  If this
> name were made into a pop-up list with the different folder names in it,
> I could use any folder I wanted, without wasting all that screen real-
> estate on icons.

How about using a horizontal row of target icons with a scroller like the
choices in Preferences. You could just always leave an empty box at the
the end for new targets. Maybe even a dock to the left of the content
window.

I hope they add a default for Librarian for window size. It always comes
up too narrow for many of my formatted documents. Also, how about a decent
method of setting relative priorities of workspace apps. I did a big index
in the Librarian and had to leave the machine alone for about 15 minutes
because it wouldn't respond quickly enough.

Chris

--
Chris Whatley                              |   "Thank you..
!bigtex!nueces!chari@cs.utexas.edu         |    Ah.. Thank me!"

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/23/89)

In article <294@nueces.UUCP> chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:
>I hope they add a default for Librarian for window size. ...

Me too. And defaults for the placements of the various sections, too.  If I
had the pop-up list I mentioned earlier, and could configure my Librarian
to come up using the full screen height, the search string at the top
(occluding the icons), and summary section about a fifth of the window,
I'd be really, really happy.