[comp.sys.next] upgrade paths?

dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) (06/24/89)

I am planning to buy a NeXT for my own use, and consequently
will be buying it out of my own pocket.  Such a large personal
investment in a computer makes me cautious.  I'm sold on the
NeXT--it's really the only machine I am considering, after
having looked at Suns, MacIIs, etc.  And after the Businessland
deal I am not too nervous about third-party support (although
I would feel better if there was a little more reliable info
on specific products under development).  My major concern at
present, and perhaps the only thing preventing me from writing
out a check, is the question of upgrades.  I am interested in a
color system, and there are also rumors circulating about a
"NeXT II" that will have either a 68040 or a RISC CPU, as well
as a revised version of Mach to support multiple processors,
and a few other changes as well.  My question is whether NeXT
has committed itself to providing an upgrade path to those of
us who buy the monochrome, 68030 system.  Have there been any
OFFICIAL statements on this issue?  I would hate to buy a NeXT
only to find out that the only way I can get color and more
speed (which I really think the system as it now stands needs)
is to buy a whole new computer from scratch, down to a second
black magnesium case!  If that is the case, then it might be
better to wait for the color system (although the thought of
waiting another year or more to buy is depressing).  Has anyone
heard anything about NeXT's plans?  Could anyone at NeXT comment?
Or if there is as yet no official policy, does anyone know when
one might expect to have such a policy (something that one can
bank on)?

Thanks in advance

hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Lee Cameron Hunt) (06/25/89)

In article <2119@sjuvax.UUCP> dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) writes:
>I am planning to buy a NeXT for my own use, and consequently
>will be buying it out of my own pocket.  Such a large personal
>investment in a computer makes me cautious.  I'm sold on the
>NeXT--it's really the only machine I am considering, after
>having looked at Suns, MacIIs, etc ...

One computer you didn't mention is the Amiga 2000.  It is quite inexpensive
compared to the NeXT and is soon offering AMIX (a version of UNIX).
Upward compatibility is assured (look into some of the 68030 coprossor
boards that are being offered) and with the new enhanced chip set, you
can get workstation-sized graphics (on the order of 1024*640 w/ 4 colors,
I think).  Although, I will admit, the Amiga isn't as revolutionary as the
NeXT, it is a solid machine offering an advanced architecture and stable
software (which wasn't as true a few years ago).  Also, a verion of X-windows
will soon be ready for the Amiga which will make it even more attractive as a
UNIX workstation.  So if you haven't looked into an Amiga, please do so.

                           Lee
(no signature required)