[comp.sys.next] Loading the /etc/services file into

carlson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (06/25/89)

Obviously, NetInfo can only store one entry for a key ("isis").
Do you really need all 3 entries? Or just keep the tcp one?
You might try to add suffixes to isis, like isis_tcp,
although you will then have to patch the isis code.

This does seem like a real pain, I admit.
(Though so far we haven't noticed any problems.)
Maybe the /services table should have a sub-table for each protocol,
i.e. /services/tcp & /services/udp.

Now that I think about it, it might be very useful to apply this
idea elsewhere.  Then we could devide /users into groups (we already
segregate their home directories),
and everything under /machines (hosts) could be organized
the same way as the domain-based host naming system.
Of course, this would require re-writing the get* routines (again),
and may or may not increase search times.
Anybody at NeXT care to comment?

--------------------
Brad Carlson  <carlson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu> or <b-carlson@uiuc.edu>
University of Illinos--Micro Resource Center--NeXT guru

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (06/26/89)

In article <800009@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu> carlson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Obviously, NetInfo can only store one entry for a key ("isis").

Wrong.  Look at it using the NetInfo application or niutil.
nidump is broken.

>Do you really need all 3 entries? Or just keep the tcp one?
>You might try to add suffixes to isis, like isis_tcp,
>although you will then have to patch the isis code.

RFC 1010 specifies that port number assignments should be
consistent across protocols; for example, "domain" is both 53/udp
and 53/tcp.  This means that  nidump services  should output
all port/protocol properties for a given key.  (Yes, isis can
have different port numbers for tcp and udp (but why?); RFC 1010
only speaks for ports <256.)

>This does seem like a real pain, I admit.
>(Though so far we haven't noticed any problems.)
>Maybe the /services table should have a sub-table for each protocol,
>i.e. /services/tcp & /services/udp.

The further NeXT diverges from BSD compatibility, the more
attractive Sun (et al.) workstations become.  Hint, hint.
You better have a *good* reason for proposing this.

					Eric P. Scott
				San Francisco State University
				EPSCOTT@CALSTATE.BITNET