[comp.sys.next] WorkSpace like ...

tsui@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (06/26/89)

Does anyone know how workspace implemets view by icon?  Is it a scrollview
with its contentview set to matrix of cells that are associated with icons?
I am trying to write something that allows me to drag an icon from it to
another window(same application), virtually like you drag a icon(TIFF) from
work space to the demo program icon.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

--yufeng

Yufeng Tsui, IU.   HOME OF HOOSIERS
{ihnp4!inuxc,rutgers,pyramid}!iuvax!silver!tsui
tsui@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2)

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (06/26/89)

In article <133000004@silver> tsui@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>Does anyone know how workspace implemets view by icon?  Is it a scrollview
>with its contentview set to matrix of cells that are associated with icons?
>I am trying to write something that allows me to drag an icon from it to
>another window(same application), virtually like you drag a icon(TIFF) from
>work space to the demo program icon.

Simply register a window from your application with the Workspace
Manager and you will get a message whenever the user drags a file icon
from a Workspace Manager window to your window. Take a look at the
DrawDocument class in the source for the Draw program, provided in
/NextDeveloper/Examples/Draw.

As you might guess, this indicates that you need not be concerned with the
exact implementation of the Workspace icon view window. (It probably is a
ScrollView whose docView is a custom view...)

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com