[comp.sys.next] Foriegn Markets And Languages

grahamr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Robert Graham) (05/09/89)

I think that NeXT is a prime example why we have such a large trade
imbalance. As far as I can tell, they are not concentrating on the
foriegn market at all, which is a big mistake. Universities in
Europe are funded primarily by the government (no tuition), and have
(in comparison to american universitie) gobs of liquid cash. The
school I went to (University of Stuttgart), had Sun 3 workstations
on most CS professors desks, and a Cray 2 squirrelled away somewhere
on campus (there is an old rivalry between Baden-Wuertemburg [of which
Stuttgart is the capital] and Bavaria, like who developed German beer,
who invented pretzels, etc. The University Stuttgart just has to have
a bigger computer than the University od Munich). Students can't earn
less than about $7 per hour (there are lots of jobs at that wage), while
my american university's CS department can't afford $4.00/hour for
its student workers. It seems that foreign acadamia would be a much
fertile market than domestic acadamia.

Do umlauts, accents, tildes, etc. work on 0.9? (yes, I know, the disk
is in the mail) I like Webster, but I already know english. I do,
however use other dictionaries quite extensively (German and French
in particularly) and I have flipped enough pages to want them online.
Is NeXT (or a third party) going to have anything like that available
soon at a reasonable price? How about foriegn language fonts? (i.e.
Japanese hirigana, katakana, and kanji; Russian)

Maybe we have a $150 trade deficit because countries like Japan and
Germany (which now have stronger economies than us) think first "can we
sell it in america?" and the US thinks first "can we sell it
in america?" :)

Rob.
grahamr@ccmail.ucs.orst.edu
grahamr@prism.cs.orst.edu

duggie@Jessica.stanford.edu (Doug Felt) (05/09/89)

In addition, NeXT has not attempted to tackle the significant problems
of handling languages like Chinese (very large number of ideographs),
Japanese (mixed writing wsystems), Hebrew (right to left text), or
Arabic languages (variable letter forms).  Apple has incorporated
basic routines for handing different "scripts" into its toolbox, and
is slowly making progress towards a truly multilingual computer (new
versions of TextEdit will handle multiple scripts within the same body
of text).  In particular, Apple has system software that allows
ordinary macs to use any of the above mentioned languages (although
some word-processing software written without using the recent toolbox
routines is not completely compatible).

I was disappointed that NeXT did not share the same goals.  While the
problems of providing large character sets in postscript are not
trivial, and perhaps postscript fonts for some of these languages
still do not exist, I think an early effort to support multibyte
character sets would have been worthwhile.  Just as working in
grayscale eases the transition to color, working with multibyte fonts
would ease the transition to multilingual user interfaces.  As it is
it looks to be a long time coming.

Doug Felt

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/09/89)

In article <10459@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> grahamr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Robert Graham) writes:
>I think that NeXT is a prime example why we have such a large trade
>imbalance. As far as I can tell, they are not concentrating on the
>foriegn market at all, which is a big mistake. Universities in

Aw, give them a break.  I am sure they will sell their machines
overseas when the time comes.  Contrary to your suggestion,
I consider NeXT to be a prime example of what Americans should be
proud of.

>How about foriegn language fonts? (i.e.
>Japanese hirigana, katakana, and kanji; Russian)

I am hoping that I can just buy nice Kanji fonts for DPS from
Adobe, and just load-and-go.  I know  Apple sells a version
of their LaserWriter NTX with built-in Kanji fonts in Japan.
If DPS supports Kanji, then it shouldn't take any changes to
whatever NeXT does on top of DPS.  Perhaps, Glenn can comment on this?

Izumi Ohzawa,   izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (05/09/89)

In article <10459@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> grahamr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Robert Graham) writes:
>I think that NeXT is a prime example why we have such a large trade
>imbalance. As far as I can tell, they are not concentrating on the
>foriegn market at all, which is a big mistake. Universities in

I just got a letter saying that they are trying to get an export license
to Finland and that they would reconsider my Reg. Dev. Prog. application
again when they get it. I guess they are having problems with COCOM.

I think it is safe to say that the NeXT cube is high technology.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

phil@mit-amt (Phil Sohn) (05/09/89)

	Let's all remember that it was years before Apple introduced
anything having to do with foriegn markets, and most of the foriegn
system software (KanjiTalk, at least) is not even running under 6.0
yet!
	NeXT has not even started shipping released units yet.  Lets
give them a little time and see what they turn up.

jgreely@previous.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (05/09/89)

 (Robert Graham) writes:
>I think that NeXT is a prime example why we have such a large trade
>imbalance. As far as I can tell, they are not concentrating on the
>foriegn market at all, which is a big mistake.

1) The NeXT machine is not out yet.

2) NeXT is a very young company.  Attempting to aggressively market
   world-wide immediately sounds like financial suicide.

3) Take a good look at the cube.  Check the power supply.  It's
   designed to be dropped in just about anywhere in the world.  NeXT
   may not be ready to market abroad now, but they haven't ignored
   the future.

> The
>school I went to (University of Stuttgart), had Sun 3 workstations
>on most CS professors desks, and a Cray 2 squirrelled away somewhere
>on campus

Wow.  Sounds just like Ohio State.  You've done a pretty good job of
describing our environment, and we most emphatically do *not* have
"gobs of liquid cash" (and the Cray's not ours, but it's scheduled to
become a Y-MP soon).

> Students can't earn
>less than about $7 per hour (there are lots of jobs at that wage),

Well, you *were* describing us.

[stuff about foreign language support]

I have as yet seen nothing on foreign language dictionaries or word
processing, but that means nothing.  I suggest contacting a sales type
and getting the latest third-party information (mine's already several
months out of date).

			"Who's it *this* time?"
					"Concert promoters who have
					 gone broke organizing charity
					 benefit concerts.  We call it
					 Aid Aid."
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) (05/10/89)

From article <10459@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, by grahamr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Robert Graham):

  From the Nov. 1988 issue of Byte magazine:

	The nonswitching power supply can handle voltages ranging
	anywhere from 90 volts to 260 V, and frequencies from
	50 Hz to 60 Hz. This means that you can plug in the
	hardware almost anywhere in the world without without
	having to set switches.

> Maybe we have a $150 trade deficit because countries like Japan and
> Germany (which now have stronger economies than us) think first "can we
> sell it in america?" and the US thinks first "can we sell it
> in america?" :)

   America is the largest purchaser of computers inthe world. It is
also the biggest exporter. You yourself point out that a European
university had a Sun for every professor and a Cray II.

   It is too my understanding that the Japanese are largely computer
illiterate. Students use abacuses more than they use computers.
Furthermore, I simply don't see any Japanese or German computers where
I work. Do you know anyone who has purchased a Sony workstation?

					Sean Brunnock

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/10/89)

In article <13209@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:
>   It is too my understanding that the Japanese are largely computer
>illiterate. Students use abacuses more than they use computers.

Geez, what's the basis of this?
Japan is the only country where NON-IBM PC compatible MS-DOS
machines can be found all over the place.
This indicates that, at least, there is a healthy market large
enough to sustain the non-US standard architecture.  How could
that happen in a largely computer illiterate place?

Abacuses are still popular probably sort-of as a "mental excercise",
as are calligraphy, piano, and violin lessens.

You should probably visit Akihabara district in Tokyo, where all kinds
of electronic parts/appliances, computers, other stuff are sold
with good price and wide selection.  You might check out how
diverse the age groups are of the people checking out the wares.
You can find kids in elementary school to 60-ish old men buying
LSI's.

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (05/13/89)

In article <24176@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:

>I am hoping that I can just buy nice Kanji fonts for DPS from
>Adobe, and just load-and-go.  I know  Apple sells a version
>of their LaserWriter NTX with built-in Kanji fonts in Japan.
>If DPS supports Kanji, then it shouldn't take any changes to
>whatever NeXT does on top of DPS.  Perhaps, Glenn can comment on this?

Unfortunately, that won't be the case.  The composite font extensions
to the language have not yet made it into the Display PostScript
product.  Also, we do not sell Kanji fonts directly at this time.  Our
OEM customers currently build the fonts into their printer products.

Composite font technology will be built into Display PostScript, it
just isn't done yet.  I don't know if/when we will ever sell the fonts
themselves direct.  That's another issue.  If we did (and when DPS has
the composite font code), you should be able to load-and-go.

"Glenn"

Sheldon.Greaves@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sheldon Greaves) (06/22/89)

Your point on the apparent lack of mulit-lingual capability on the
NeXT machine is excellent and well taken.  I might add that in add-
ition to the problems created in the international marketplace, there
is the same kind of frustration that I felt when the Mac came out.
At the time, sales people were saying that the ability to use multi-
ple fonts would make this a good machine for people dealing in foreign
languages.  I often work in as many as a half a dozen (human)
languages, such as hebrew, greek, ugaritic, and so forth, but I have
yet to see any evidence that this so-called "Academic Workstation"
will do anything except for academics in the Computer Science, Business,
or Engineering departments.  I would love to know if there is any
intention to introduce not only foreign character sets, but right-to-
left or up-to-down capability, etc. as well.
  Thanks for an insightful comment.
--Sheldon Greaves

FidoNet:  1:161/445      UUCP: sun!apple!bmug!<User.Name>
INTERNET:  bmug!<User.Name>@apple.COM or <User.Name>@bmug.fidonet.org
USNAIL:   BMUG, 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA 94709-1496
BMUG Newsletter articles due June 15!  Authors get free membership.
Send articles to:  pub@bmug.fidonet.org

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (06/24/89)

In article <254.24A2330E@bmug.FIDONET.ORG> Sheldon.Greaves@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sheldon Greaves) writes:
>......  I would love to know if there is any
>intention to introduce not only foreign character sets, but right-to-
>left or up-to-down capability, etc. as well.

Some PostScript printers sold in Japan have Kanji/Kana character
sets in addition to regular fonts found in the US models.
On these printers, texts can be printed left-to-right, or up-to-down
directions very easily.  I have read in an article about Japanese
PostScript printers that it is also easy to do right-to-left text
printing.

For printers, and Display PostScript to do this, "composite
font extensions" to PostScript must be present in the PS or DPS
interpreter.  Although the current NeXT DPS doesn't have that
extension, I am sure it will soon, considering the recent
announcement of Canon buying into NeXT for rights to sell the cubes
in Asia(?).

Given this, I think NeXT is by far the easiest machine for making
it do true foreign languages, and in nice outline-fonts, because
the support of foreign character set and printing directions will
be taken care of by the underlying Display PostScript.  I can't
wait to see this happen :-).  Then, the cube will be the only
computer I need, and I can throw away my NEC PC9801.

Izumi Ohzawa.
izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

duggie@Jessica.stanford.edu (Doug Felt) (06/27/89)

>Given this, I think NeXT is by far the easiest machine for making
>it do true foreign languages, and in nice outline-fonts, because
>the support of foreign character set and printing directions will
>be taken care of by the underlying Display PostScript.  I can't
>wait to see this happen :-).  Then, the cube will be the only
>computer I need, and I can throw away my NEC PC9801.
>
>Izumi Ohzawa.
>izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

Well, Display Postscript may help, but you need support in the AppKit
as well.  The routines need to support multi-byte character codes,
multiple writing systems, selection of text containing text runs that
read in both directions, etc.  Programs with macro languages should
have some language-independent parsing facility and avoid dependence
on the underlying byte-level representation of the language...

Apple has tried to address these needs with their Script Manager, and
is building support for it into their TextEdit routines and other
places in their system software.  I can use Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew,
Arabic, Korean, and other languages on my Macintosh, with no special
hardware, *right now* and the only problem is lack of third-party
software that uses the Script Manager.

As far as I can tell NeXT has nothing remotely near the Script
Manager, nor have they evinced much interest in foreign-language
computing.  For at least the next few years, the Macintosh will be a
better choice for people interested in using 'exotic' languages like
those above.

Doug Felt
Courseware Authoring Tools Project
Stanford University
duggie@jessica.stanford.edu

rrr@cup.portal.com (Roger Rock Rosner) (06/28/89)

Some NeXT employees mentioned to me that NeXT is creating an Application
Kit subclass of Text specifically for dealing with non-english
languages.  Canon is supposed to use this to make the Japanese version.

Since the Japanese version is supposed to be out next year, I imagine
they'll have to finish the international Text class pretty soon.

Roger Rosner
Lighthouse Design