[comp.sys.next] printer woes

jeffy@csustan.UUCP (Jeffrey Youngstrom) (05/10/89)

This has probably been hashed out before, but...

I'm having some trouble getting our NeXTlaser to print from WriteNow.
It works fine 'lpr'ing ascii files, or screen-dumping from 'Scene', but
when I try to print from WriteNow (or Edit) it doesn't print and I get
mail that says :

   >Your printer job (printOutput442895.ps)
   >was not printed because it was not linked to the original file

Huh?? Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance for any help.
Don't bore everyone, please email to
--
Jeffrey Youngstrom                      Everything in the world
      jeffy@altair.csustan.edu          means the world to me

flur@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Peter W. Flur) (05/18/89)

I have had nothing but heartaches as far as printing goes in release 0.9.

This is the story:

On the first machine I brought up, I didn't realize I needed to use netinfo/
niload so it was hopeless.  On the second machine, I did, and I can get
it to print with no problems.  This is what the printcap looks like after the
nidump  (machine name ncstate):

--------------------this will print to np--------------------------
NextLaser|np: \
	:lp=/dev/null:sd=/usr/spool/np:lf=/usr/adm/np-log: \
	:af=/usr/adm/np.acct:re:mf:if=/usr/lib/NextPrinter/npcomm: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:
lp|np|1|ps|ncstate|postscript|PostScript|NeXTLaser: \
	:lp=/dev/null:sd=/usr/spool/np:lf=/usr/adm/np-log: \
	:af=/usr/adm/np.acct:re:mf:if=/usr/lib/NextPrinter/npcomm: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:
lp2|2|howardu|LaserWriter2|ps2|postscript2|PostScript2: \
	:lp=:rm=howardu:rp=howardu:sd=/usr/spool/lp2:pl#66: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:lf=/usr/spool/logfiles/lpd-errs:
lp3|3|wake|LaserWriter3|ps3|postscript3|PostScript3: \
	:lp=:rm=wake:rp=wake:sd=/usr/spool/lp3:pl#66: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:lf=/usr/spool/logfiles/lpd-errs:
lp4|4|duke|LaserWriter4|ps4|postscript4|PostScript4: \
	:lp=:rm=duke:rp=duke:sd=/usr/spool/lp4:pl#66: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:lf=/usr/spool/logfiles/lpd-errs:
--------------------this will print to np--------------------------

This prints to np and howardu, which is still running 0.8.  No problem.

So then, I go and (can you believe it?) try to fix the first system
and the printer doesn't work no matter what I do.  Ok, give up and re-buildisk.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I posted my first message about NPD and
got a good suggestion about setting the Public Window Server.  So, on
the next machine, I tried that, but no matter what I do, it will not
print anything.

This is what the nidump looks like on the second machine (called duke):

-------------------this won't print worth crap--------------
NextLaser|np: \
	:lp=/dev/null:sd=/usr/spool/np:lf=/usr/adm/np-log: \
	:af=/usr/adm/np.acct:re:mf:if=/usr/lib/NextPrinter/npcomm: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:
lp|np|1|ps|duke|postscript|PostScript|NeXTLaser: \
	:lp=/dev/null:sd=/usr/spool/np:lf=/usr/adm/np-log: \
	:af=/usr/adm/np.acct:re:mf:if=/usr/lib/NextPrinter/npcomm: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:
lp2|2|howardu|LaserWriter2|ps2|postscript2|PostScript2: \
	:lp=:rm=howardu:rp=howardu:sd=/usr/spool/lp2:pl#66: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:lf=/usr/spool/logfiles/lpd-errs:
lp3|3|wake|LaserWriter3|ps3|postscript3|PostScript3: \
	:lp=:rm=wake:rp=wake:sd=/usr/spool/lp3:pl#66: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:lf=/usr/spool/logfiles/lpd-errs:
lp4|4|ncstate|LaserWriter4|ps4|postscript4|PostScript4: \
	:lp=:rm=ncstate:rp=ncstate:sd=/usr/spool/lp4:pl#66: \
	:ty=NeXT 400 dpi Laser Printer:lf=/usr/spool/logfiles/lpd-errs:
-------------------this won't print worth crap--------------

When I try to print (using lpr) to np on duke (#2), nothing prints.
When I try to print (using lpr) to ncstate on duke (#2), it usually works.
When I try to print (using lpr) to np on ncstate (#1), it usually works.
When I try to print (using lpr) to duke on ncstate (#2), nothing prints.

By nothing printing, I mean that the queue shows the job, the status
says "Printing", but it just sits in the queue.  Oh yes, running the Test
in PrinterApp on all machines does successfully print a big blob.

I would appreciate any and all help or suggestions....

Peter