[comp.sys.next] Connections...

yonge@pnet02.cts.com (Yam Hui) (06/24/89)

Has anyone tried connecting a NeXT and a Mac directly ( without going
through any K-Boxes or modems etc. )? Any suggestions to what kind of
software to use?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you... Bye.
Yonge.

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!yonge
INET: yonge@pnet02.cts.com

dpd00609@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/26/89)

> Has anyone tried connecting a NeXT and a Mac directly ( without going
> through any K-Boxes or modems etc. )? Any suggestions to what kind of
> software to use?

No problem.  Just use a null modem cable (an Imagewriter cable works nicely)
between either of the two NeXT serial ports and either of the Mac's two
serial ports.  Edit the appropriate line in /etc/ttys, ttya or ttyb.  You'll
probably want to use vt100 terminal protocol.  Then just run a modem program
on your Mac which has a good vt100 emulator (Microphone, Red Ryder, etc).

Of course this only gives you a TEXT Unix user interface, but you can transfer
files back and forth with this method.

P.S. Make sure you use an UNUSED serial port on the NeXT.  You wouldn't
want another driver (like the line printer daemon) fighting for it!)

email me if you have any questions/problems...

David Doudna, Soft Med
dpd00609@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (07/06/89)

In article <246300007@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> dpd00609@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>> Has anyone tried connecting a NeXT and a Mac directly ( without going
>> through any K-Boxes or modems etc. )? Any suggestions to what kind of
>> software to use?
>No problem.  Just use a null modem cable (an Imagewriter cable works nicely)
>between either of the two NeXT serial ports and either of the Mac's two
>serial ports....Then just run a modem program
>on your Mac which has a good vt100 emulator (Microphone, Red Ryder, etc).
>
>Of course this only gives you a TEXT Unix user interface, but you can transfer
>files back and forth with this method.

You might also try bringing uw up on the NeXT; then you can have multiple
windows/shells on your mac.  (I haven't tried this yet, but I will shortly.)

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

pgn@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (07/06/89)

Let me ask this: If I understood correctly, I can get a DIN-8 to DIN-8
imagewriter cable and hook the NeXT and Mac II together. Then I can
login into the NeXT via, say VersaTerm, without any extra stuff.
Is this correct? Please email answers to me!!! I must get stuff
from my Mac into my NeXT which I rec'd just last week.

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                1-(614)-292-5310.office
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-(614)-292-4975.department