[comp.sys.next] Ramblings...

guerra@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) (07/06/89)

I have just started using the cube for the last few weeks or so and I was
wondering about a few things.

1) Are the NeXT demos (i.e. Flying Eagle, digitized speeches, whatever)
included on the 0.9 release?

2) In preferences, you can set error messages to generate a dialog, voice,
or both.  I remember having found some digitized voices for the printer errors
but I can't remember where that was.  Is there anything else that generates
voice?

3) For the Scene application, are there any screens or movies hidden away
somewhere?  What exactly is a movie?

4) Also in Scene, what is the 'Select' button used for?

5) Isn't the mail icon supposed to display the mail received icon
(application icon) only when mail is in the mailbox?  I'll notice that
it looks like somthing is there, so I'll start up the mail app, but there is
no mail and the icon reverts back to a single envelope.  If I guit the mail
app, the icon changes back to the multiple envelope icon. Just so it doesn't
annoy me, I just leave the mail app active all the time and then the
application icon behave like its supposed to.

I know that thre are other things that I've been wondering about, like how can
one go about converting Mac digitized sounds to the NeXT, and so forth, but I'll
wonder about those later.  I'm just starting the read the online documentation
and there is quite a bit of it.

Frank

jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (07/07/89)

In article <28080@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> guerra@lll-crg.llnl.gov.UUCP (Frank M. Guerra) writes:
>I know that thre are other things that I've been wondering about, like how can
>one go about converting Mac digitized sounds to the NeXT

I believe it was Chris Lane that wrote some routines to do  Mac <--> NeXT
sound conversions. These routines can be FTP'd from cs.orst.edu. The tar
files are located in pub/next/sources and pub/next/macintosh (they are
identical files).

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@hobbes.cs.orst.edu

dml@esl.UUCP (Denis Lynch) (07/08/89)

In article <28080@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> guerra@lll-crg.llnl.gov.UUCP (Frank M. Guerra) writes:
>1) Are the NeXT demos (i.e. Flying Eagle, digitized speeches, whatever)
>included on the 0.9 release?
No.

>4) Also in Scene, what is the 'Select' button used for?
To Select the window(s) to be grabbed. This would be a lot better if there
were documentation! It's really easy to use though: hit the Select button,
and the miniscreen shows the outlines of all the windows on the screen. (Of
course, Scene's menu is one, and each docked icon is its own.) Scene's icon
window is dark gray, the others are all white. If you click on any windows,
they turn light gray. The menu choice associated with command-1 (sorry, I
forget what that is) grabs the dark gray window. The menu choice associated
with command-2 grabs all the gray windows. You can then use Save to save
a TIFF or EPS file. [If you want to grab just one window, it probably isn't
Scene's menu. If you click in Scene's menu first, it reverts to white. The
next window you click in will become the dark gray one.]

This feature is great for producing documentation!

>5) Isn't the mail icon supposed to display the mail received icon
>(application icon) only when mail is in the mailbox?  I'll notice that
>it looks like somthing is there, so I'll start up the mail app, but there is
>no mail and the icon reverts back to a single envelope.  If I guit the mail
>app, the icon changes back to the multiple envelope icon. Just so it doesn't
>annoy me, I just leave the mail app active all the time and then the
>application icon behave like its supposed to.
Right. Mail only knows if there is mail when it is running. (Remember that
Mail is just an application, it's not built into the system in any magic way.
That's really the way you want it to be!)

The non-running state really just tells you there *might* be mail.

I suggest using Dock Info to make Mail one of the applications that gets
launched as soon as you log in. (I do the same for Preferences, just so I
get its on-screen clock.)

--
Denis Lynch
ESL Incorporated                         decwrl!borealis!\